Clevo 2020

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dakka3, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Resellers are given a choice on models, it's not down to exclusivity.

2. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If my 50% fan speed with the P870DM-G is any indication that is not exactly quiet but still 50% is very bearable compared to the fans blowing at 100%!

That is the strength of a well calibrated modular chassis with a certain amount of cooling capability and configurability:

you can - within limits - choose the graphics card and CPU that fits your needs
    you can delid the CPU and fine tune other parts of the cooling system
    you can undervolt the CPU and GPU
    you can do various fan- and overclocking/usage-profiles that apply to various use cases

And then you end up with a very capable machine that gives you 90+ % of performance and a very nice acceptable noise level where in less demanding tasks you will not hear the fans at all.

3. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    P870DM-G and its 5v fans are MUCH quieter than the 12v fans in the DMx, KM, TM models. I had a P870DM-G for almost 3 years before moving to a P870TM1-G and the noise level is on another level. 100% fan on a P870DM-G is maybe 50% on a TM1.

I found 50% on the P870DM-G was much quieter than even my desktop even in a silent room. It was barely intrusive at all. It was probably the quietest gaming laptop I've ever owned. Even benching @ 100% fan speed wasn't soul crushing like the TM :p

bennyg likes this.
  4. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That does not sound good about the noise level as my DM-G usually runs at less than 20% and that is the noise level I like unless I demand top performance of course. I already consider 50% on the DM-G as quite loud but then I always made sure that my desktop PC's were really quiet so the laptops had to adhere to a similar standard. I'll have a look at the P775TM and I am already bracing myself for an unpleasant noise level...

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ha!, 65w is the actual TDP of the 3900 CPU!!

My 3700x is also rated at 65w and I can OC it past 4505mhz all core with enough cooling, well past 65w -- hitting 95w+ sustained with peaks well over 100w. For daily driver I run it at 4343mhz all core - less power draw and cooler temps.

My 65w 3700x benchmarks well past the stock 105w rated 3800x. Or, I can run it stock for less power draw and lower temps.

As long as the firmware doesn't lock it down you should get great performance from that AMD Ryzen 3900 65w. :)

The link you gave in your post summaries it nicely:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-3900-review-eco-mode

OUR VERDICT
    The Ryzen 9 3900 offers incredible performance-per-watt within a friendlier 65W TDP envelope, which equates to less power consumption and lighter cooling requirements, for:
    • Low power consumption
    • Less thermal output
    • PCIe 4.0 interface
    • Overclocking support
    And, you can re-tune the 3900 to be more like the 3900x if the cooling and power delivery are up to it, just like you can with the 65w 3700x vs the 105w 3800x. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    upload_2020-1-21_1-40-31.png
    The 3700x 65w part draws 165w system in the chart, while the 105w 3800x draws 194w system power. Those include the higher power draw of the x570 chipset, which Clevo isn't using**.

The 3900 65w part at stock is likely not much more power draw than the 3800x, probably less, and if the laptop cooling and power design can handle an all core 9900ks @ 5.0ghz, it can handle a fully OC'd 3900, or a highly binned 3950x.

3900x owners that upgraded to the 3950x say that the 3950x draws less power and puts out less heat doing the same jobs than their 3900x's.

I think Clevo should be wise enough to plan for cooling the CPU at maximum OC tuning, so if they are there's gonna be plenty of performance to be had, even starting with a 65w part.

There will be a lot of interesting AMD laptops coming out, and for the most part the top end desktop parts aren't the interesting part of the story for most people; I expect there will be far more laptops with the new AMD Ryzen 4000U/H and 5xxxM parts.

Desktop CPU / GPU parts in laptops whether AMD or Intel is still a rare thing. Hopefully Clevo will offer a wide range of the top end AM4 parts and desktop GPU's in their offerings moving forward.

**I thought the Clevo 3900 build wasn't using a x570 chipset motherboard, so Clevo will save power by using a B450 based motherboard, less system power draw and no need for active chipset cooling.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Papusan likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The 3900 will be offered from the OEM and we have the silicon lottery. Get a dude and <it works as intended> and you can't return it and ask for something better. This isn't the way I prefer buy products. If I get a Cpu dude I normally return it. Do the same with the whole machine and hope for the best is a lottery in bigger scale.
    Yeah, it's a IF...

The new models cooling is designed around what Cpu's the maufacturer will add into it. If the cooling was intended for 9900KS power consumption it would works ok. We will soon enough see what they have cooked together:)

One thing not mentioned... AMD chips need high clocked memory sticks with decent timings. A huge problem on last gen AMD notebooks. Not getting proper mem support is and can be a major problem. Either crippled due firmware or a MB not suited well for more than stock specs. This is a major problems from most Notebook brands models.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    hmscott likes this.
  8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    According to official AMD specification, 65W CPUs have a total package power limit of 88W, and 105W CPUs have a limit of 142W.

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The package power is what I reported, and it definitely passes 88w when I load the cores up with work: prime95 small FFT's, CB20, full browers + playing a movie + interactive load of a full day of use package power hits 91w - PPT 88w and sustains around that maximum, even detuned from maximum OC on daily settings, with a max temp of 67c: prime95 + CB20 + full browsers peak temp 66.1 peak package power 91w.PNG

AMD's "limits" are at stock and variable with tuning as I was explaining in my earlier posts. You can limit the power if you like as well, but I have adequate cooling to support sustained load at more than the rated power, it's tuned back a bit, but just a bit. :)

Ryzen 3700X 65W uses 76W
    Question asked by sacharja on Sep 29, 2019
    Latest reply on Nov 30, 2019 by sacharja
    https://community.amd.com/thread/243990

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    I think you meant "dud", not "dude" :)

I would imagine if you are interested in a Silicon Lottery 3900x in your build the boutique sellers will be happy to oblige, I don't think Clevo will drop microcode pieces to remove support for other CPU's. If you've got the microcode that supports the 3900 you have support for the 3900x too.

If Clevo is revving their AMD AGESA microcode support as needed for performance boosts and fixes, the microcode for new CPU's will come with. It would be worth trying the 3950x as it's supposed to draw less power and put out lower thermals doing the same work as the 3900x.
    Yup, they want to sell laptops and if they are building in a 3900 they know the buyer wants high CPU performance and the buyer will be loading all the cores with 100% CPU jobs, so they better have a big buffer of thermal performance waiting for those jobs.
    Actually you can go high clock or low latency - or both, which is expensive.

I'm running 3200mhz 32GB x 2 @ CL16 - 64GB for $289, and there is a small hit to potential performance not being CL14, but it's the trade off - and always has been - for going with large memory.

There are supposed to be 3200mhz CL14 32GB dimms coming, and 3600 CL16+, but I think 3200mhz CL14 @ 1600mhz fabric is good enough.

2020 should be a great year for AMD laptops, I'm looking forward to them. :)