Clevo 2020

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dakka3, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah yes, that happens when you look at these forums on smaller screens :D

2. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Well actually I never said that I thought that could be achieved, I am not that optimistic ;)
    As for wanting it who wouldn't - doesn't mean we can have it :)

On the other hand it is quite interesting how much fan noise varies even with one manufacturer for example the MSI GT72 and the MSI GT75 show an interesting evolution of volume, weight and noise level that is quite surprising when at the same time the equivalent P870 chassis did neither get louder nor bigger over two generations if I am not mistaken. On the other hand the GT75 can indeed be at least twice as loud at max as the GT72 while also being approximately 25% heavier with about 20% more volume but then the GT75 does not have a vapor chamber and the cooling/noise of the GT72 was considered among the best in class at the time.
    So that is some crazy increase for a similar upgrade in performance as one could see from the P870DM-G with 980m SLI to the P870TM-G with 1080 SLI where to my knowledge the TM version is rather less loud at the same temperatures despite having much more powerful hardware and all that at roughly the same weight which means only a very modest weight increase, in addition to that 2 x GTX 1080 cards have to be cooled and not only one.

3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Or they start soldering things to the motherboard and call it progress. o_O

4. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Or mix things up a little like MSI when they went from soldered CPU and MXM GPU (GT72/73/75) to soldered GPU and LGA CPU (GT76).

Somebody please correct me but I think Clevo is the only company that will have an MXM GPU in a slim bezel laptop or is there anything else?

As much as we may want something that is even bigger and better from them wer have to respect that they are the only company left standing that stayed with socketed CPU's and that also offers MXM graphics compatible with current and upcoming GPU's.

joluke likes this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Not unless you count the area 51m and it’s custom gpu’s. So honestly clevo is the last company that I know of.

6. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    It would have been better for MXM if Dell had used it, too. Hopefully there will be more new designs that use it in 2020.

joluke likes this.
  7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Dell should have used an mxm card and adapter if they wanted a fancy interface.

8. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Indeed, won't be much of a universal standard anymore if only one manufacturer continues to use it so the Dell / 51m sales numbers would have helped.

9. boggi

boggi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since this thread is called "Clevo 2020" I wanted to ask if anyone of you has some information whether Clevo is going to use the Ryzen 4800h in some new laptops or not this year?

10. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Why laptop manufacturers don't use liquid cooling? Only Asus did this once. I don't mean having a giant external device though.

Also what's the reason laptop fans are tiny and not bigger? I just find the change fans quite tiny so wondering how much cooling performance would improve by bigger fans.