Clevo 2019

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by steberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. metacarpus

metacarpus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aw, shame :( Was hoping to a return to the glorious productivity days of 16:10 laptops..

2. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From
    "Additionally, there will also be a 15.6-inch model with the same CPU and RTX 2060 GPU, plus all the 16.1-inch models will also get versions with 17.3-inch displays (P97 series). The P96 series will come with slim bezel FHD 144 Hz displays, 180 W power supplies, RAM overclocking options, and no Thunderbolt 3 connector."

No :(

3. metacarpus

Reputations:
    Well as much as I hate Apple, have to hand it to them - 10 years since the 16:10 fad in laptops died, and they are still providing this aspect ratio, making them the only laptop manufacturer to my knowledge that does so in 2019.

4. dander

Reputations:
    There's some lenovo and xiaomi laptops that have 3:2(touchscreen). I like the aspect ratio too for websites and productivity but I don't know how good they're for gaming compatibility unless you like cinematic black bars lol

metacarpus likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Asus's new Studio Book S has a 16:10 screen:
    asus-studiobook-s-w700.jpg
    https://www.windowscentral.com/asus-studiobook-s-creators-jams-17-inch-display-15-inch-chassis

"The 16:10 display on the StudioBook S (W700) measures at 17 inches, but it comes packed inside a chassis the size of a typical 15-inch laptop. That's largely thanks to ASUS' NanoEdge design, which includes thin bezels measuring 5.3mm. And because this mobile workstation is targeted at creators, the screen is rated at 97 percent coverage of the DCI-P3 color space and is Pantone validated.

On the inside, the StudioBook S comes with Intel Core i7-8750H or Xeon E-2176M processors. Pushing its graphics capabilities is the NVIDIA Quadro P3200, which should prove powerful enough for most creative tasks. That's backed up by up to 64GB of RAM and up to 4TB of SSD storage."

Of course it's got a "high extraction force" "removable" CPU and GPU, for reliable component seating on the go. :D

I miss my 1920x1200 monitors and laptop displays too, so much more code on the screen, sigh.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ts-video-articles.826767/page-8#post-10843927

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    steberg and metacarpus like this.
  6. metacarpus

Reputations:
    I grew up in a 4:3 world. A lot of movies would either get cropped or kept in their original cinematic ratio when aired on TV. So, I don't mind the black bars, but I do mind stretching. And this used to be a problem back when I had a 16:10 laptop in 2008. Most games would not support that ratio, so they would stretch to fill the black space, resulting in distortion. Nowadays though, that's no longer a problem as both nvidia and amd have an option in the driver to "preserve aspect ratio" when playing old content.

Anyway, Clevo's strength has always been the ability to fully customize and replace everything as needed. So if anyone would be able to offer different screen ratio panels, I would have bet on Clevo.

That looks intriguing! Guess CES still isn't over, so gonna keep my eyes peeled! Thanks :)

7. dander

Reputations:
    That Asus looks great, wish they had a model with a normal GTX/RTX video card tho, especially with the Xeons higher base/turbo(don't think Xeons ship with anything other than Quadros or FirePros though so, why no 8850H)

Still excited to see what these Clevos will offer

8. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There is something I do not really understand since so far I did not really follow AW until now.

The AW laptop has a 510W adapter (330+180) and this is NOT enough (?!) and thus AW allows it to draw power from the battery , but when the battery drops to 20% the laptop will power throttle ?!
    Did I just understand this correctly ?
    Because If I do then it seems to me AW can't build an energy efficient laptop.

I do not wish to defend Clevo but how the hell can Clevo solve the power issue in a P775 with 9900k+rtx2080 using 1x 330W adapter but AW can't with 510W?!
    Or Clevo is/will be a power throttling mess from the start and AW will be only a throttling mess after 1--3 hour of gaming (when battery reaches 20%)?

Just watched xoticpc review of the P775tm from last year and they got 90C with gtx 1080 in Rise of the Tomb Raider...this is really bad considering this card throttles at 88C.
    If Clevo did not solve this with a brand new cooling solution then prepare yourself for some hardcore throttling and space invaders gaming.

jaybee83, Lurker Below and hmscott like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not all brand support max usage from the psu. In the older days MSI allowed less power from psu while gaming on AC. Once the battery was empty and needed charging after battery boost the psu delivered more than rated psu capacity.

Fully used Delta 330w is 400W from the wall. No problem.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    jclausius and hmscott like this.