Clevo 2019

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by steberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. jellygood

jellygood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, that makes sense, considering that even https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=1047&lang=en does not list PBXX series yet. I wonder if they would support 9th gen. CannonLake cpus with 8 cores out of the box.

2. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was arguing the same thing some posts ago. I'm also interested in the PBXX series, but at this point I think I'll just wait for 9th gen CPUs

jellygood likes this.
  3. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    steberg and TomoPrime like this.
  4. redbytes

Reputations:
    That fan grille is strange. First time I see one like that.

Whatever, I will wait for the 9th gen Core version for sure now. The announced 8C/8T i7s look like very promising CPUs.

5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Those things are going to run hot and throttle like crazy. Look at the 9900K. I mean, don't get me wrong, it will be an improvement, but I would hardly consider it "promising". True progress will be when 10nm arrives.

bennyg and sicily428 like this.
  6. redbytes

Reputations:
    That's not entirely true - first of all, we're still talking about 45W processors, which thick notebooks like the PB5/7 should be comfortably able to cool. Second, current processors are made using an highly refined 14nm process - 14nm++ - and it's actually the fifth generation of CPUs made on this technology. 10nm processors, on the other hand, are late because they didn't meet the expectations, and we may have to wait for the 10nm++ step to get the a better performance/watt ratio than we what have now on the 5th gen 14nm++ process.

There was an Intel slide deck covering this issue exactly - you could see that they predicted the first generations of 10nm processors having slightly lower performance than the final 14nm process. There was also an Anandtech article explaining the how the transition will work:
    So yeah, as far as we know now, it's not written on stone that the the upcoming 10nm/10nm+ processors will have better performance/watt ratio than current 14nm++ ones. In a couple of years they'll most likely be much better, but if I had to change my computer in the next months (which I'll probably do), I wouldn't wait for 10nm CPUs.

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The thing is Intel abandoned the 45W TDP limit starting with the 8th Gen series. All of their H/HK are the same silicon as desktop processors, but with it, their clock rates reduced to keep the voltages low. You want to turbo boost that 8950HK processor? Watch it hit 120W.
    If you take an 8950HK and run it at full load (Prime95+Linkpack) and force it at the 45W TDP limit, it usually runs very close to its base clock. Fortunately, most laptops are designed to handle 55-60W TDP.
    The speeds and performance numbers advertised by Intel for their laptop processors are mostly only attainable for short periods and if the laptop is designed to handle a 65-70W TDP processor.
    Intel has always "refined" their production process once a year, for many years now, we know that every time they refined it they usually gain 10% extra speed. Their latest 14nm++ is no different.

jaybee83, B0B, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I strongly agree with this. My i7 6920hq has a tdp limit of 45w but watch it hit 75w on load! In prime95 it nears 80w but then again it performed close to a 4790k/6700k.
    What intel shows as tdp is ********, the tdp is almost never that low even on load I see chips pulling more than advertised. I have a 8700t Es chip which is MEANT to only consume 35w on load. In my clevo it’s consuming 70w casually... it doesn’t overheat or throttle like a 8700k or 7700k etc. But come on the tdp is not 35w.

9. redbytes

Reputations:
    This is true, still you answered only to the first line of my post :) however, I understand what you say: that's why I'm aiming at a laptop with a decently cooled chassis.

10. Ashlander

Ashlander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The new Aorus has a similar grill design as well I believe.