Clevo 2019

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by steberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh I totally forgot about that review! Yeah I wouldn’t mind picking up a compatible 230w later if that fixes the drain issue. Kinda messed up though.

2. TomoPrime

Reputations:
    Now I’m really torn now. You could save a lot going with the P960EN vs the GS75 especially if the $2800 GS75 is only single channel. I guess I will wait for reviews. I don’t mind buying an larger power brick if one can be used travel and the other left home for greater power usage.

ChebyshevKev likes this.
  3. The Underdog

The Underdog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think this is the part that really gets me. We've gotten to the point where the hardware is powerful enough and price ranges are so wide that market segmentation is an entirely different beast than what it was when I last bought a laptop 5 years ago.

This isn't even a viable product if RTX was better value or 1080ti production continued.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, that's what I thought when I first heard of the lower wattage PSU's being shipped, that they will be using battery boost techniques to make up the difference.

So it might actually be worth plugging in a compatible PSU with higher wattage to see if the laptop + battery will draw more power and stop the battery boost from engaging.

I have done that before for a wide range of laptops, but recently - last couple of years - the firmware has been locked down to assume a maximum power draw based on the shipped PSU wattage... it's worth a try though.

raz8020, Papusan and ChebyshevKev like this.
  5. ChebyshevKev

ChebyshevKev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah a decent review would be really helpful right now lol.

I honestly don’t think a 2080 max-q is worth more than what clevo/sager are asking from the reviews I’ve seen... If this unit ends up being a dud then I will probably either go with a cheaper 1080mq unit or just hold out...

hmscott likes this.
  6. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think that the sweet spot for me is the 2070 (either maxq or not). 8 GB di RAM for my dev needs and enough of an update for vidya from my 980m. And, most importantly, is not overpriced as hell

hmscott likes this.
  7. TomoPrime

Reputations:
    Yeah the 5lb 17” Mech-17 with a Full RTX 2070 seems respectable at $1700-$1800. I get pulled in so many directions.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Vega is that expensive to produce though, half the cost is the ram. There is a niche of professionals who will find this a bargain.

Totally unusable in a notebook of course.

Ashtrix, Papusan, raz8020 and 3 others like this.
  9. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too bad that AMD is years behind in the field of machine learning. I would kill for a 16 GB CUDA capable video card under 1000 $/€.
    Tell that to Apple...

hmscott likes this.
  10. TomoPrime

Reputations:
    I was just reading the Radeon VII review on PC Gamer. Having many Tensor cores is a must! To quote: “As for deep learning, AMD has decent FP16 performance—about 28 TFLOPS, or twice the performance of FP32. It's not at the 80 TFLOPS level of the RTX 2080's Tensor cores, never mind the RTX 2080 Ti's 108 TFLOPS, but FP16 isn't used much in games anyway. For most gamers, it won't matter.

hmscott likes this.