Clevo 2019

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by steberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  2. Wonkyfinger

Wonkyfinger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why can't I find any news regarding these machines? The original article says they will be showcased at CES, but I can't find any coverage. Tons of news regarding ASUS, Razer, AW, MSI, but no Clevo.

I really just want to know if the P96 and PB50 have all exhaust in the rear. That's been my main criticism of almost all gaming laptops these days is that it's becoming impossible to find one that doesn't exhaust from the sides.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Lurker Below

Lurker Below Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perhaps it's due to Clevo being less of a direct-to-consumer brand. Might see more press when resellers like Sager offer their rebranded versions to consumers.

Also, it doesn't look like they're doing anything particularly gimmicky this year that might help gain more attention, like Acer's display hinges or their liquid cooling dock from some time ago ago.

DaMafiaGamer, joluke and hmscott like this.
  4. Wonkyfinger

Reputations:
  5. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That optical fingerprint reader in the trackpad looks great, hopefully it doesn't slow down login vs conventional readers trying to look for the spot lol. Wish you could trade the HDD slot for a bigger battery though

6. j3rwin

j3rwin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The opening shot of the ports is quite interesting. Notably, it has only 1x mini-DP but adds in a 1x USB 3.1 Type-C+Displayport.
    I think, what they actually got video of is the P97 chassis (aka Origin EVO 17-S) which is a deceptively small 17" machine.

It sent me on a pretty wild chase.

Based on this particular quote from Notebookcheck's Clevo CES2019 Article:
    I originally took this to mean that Clevo would simply refresh the PA70 chassis and call it P97. But it looks like they've actually dropped the PA70 and built a new 17" chassis based on the P95 design and widened a little.

Here's OriginPC has listed the EVO16-S and NT-16:
    https://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/evo16-s/
    https://www.originpc.com/configurator/prol/l1.aspx?SYSTEMID=111

Both of these appear to be the P95 chassis we're all used to, but with a 16.1" screen (tiny bezels). Both of these use the traditional 2x Mini-DP + 2x Type-C ports.
    Dimensions are:
    Height: .78”
    Width: 14.9”
    Depth: 9.9”
    Weight: 4.6 lbs

Here's where things get interesting:
    This is the new page for the EVO 17-S:
    https://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/evo17-s/
    Dimensions:
    Height: .78”
    Width: 15.6”
    Depth: 10.5”
    Weight: 5.5 lbs

The EVO 17-S has the matching ports to the CNET video as can be seen in the side-on shot under the "Power" section. It's also quite obviously not the old PA70 chassis as it also has tiny bezels, no grills above the keyboard and significantly smaller edges on the sides of the keyboard.
    It's actually surprisingly close to a P950/P960 chassis in dimensions and looks.

So given that it's not much bigger than the original P950 and actually SMALLER than my own P650RP6 that it would be replacing..... I guess I may be getting a 17" laptop this next gen:eek:

Lurker Below and hmscott like this.
  8. Wonkyfinger

Reputations:
  9. Wonkyfinger

Reputations:
  10. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But you got to admire that alienware made an area 51 laptop with at least an upgradable cpu and GPU. Watch how they will throttle both components aggressively. A i9 9900k in that, there is no way that will keep cool lol. :D
    And even if they don't have overheating problems they are probably going to run into current limit throttling considering that cpu uses a load of watts to perform.

Vistar Shook and Papusan like this.