Clevo 2019

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by steberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I suppose if a modern GTX 1060 i7-8750H laptop with a 144hz display that comes with a 180W power adaptor has the same power consumption as RTX 2080 Max laptop there should be a little wiggle room left for overclocking right?

2. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I don't think you will have much room for overclocking a 2080mq with a 180W PSU. The system will probably be already very close to this limit at stock already - both in terms of power and of thermals.

But at this point it's just speculation. We need to wait proper reviews.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Doesn't seem like it's turning out that great now that the gag order is lifted. Not quite a match for 2080 FE, and sadly, it won't work in CrossFried configuration.

Maybe the drivers are not as great as originally thought. Still waiting for more conclusive evidence on whether or not it it will eventually be overclockable enough to be taken seriously as an enthusiast GPU and not just an alternative for a gamer-boy GPU. According to GamersNexus, overclocking is totally broken (as usual for AMD, especially their GPUs). For now, the Green Goblin is still holding the crown and probably won't feel much pressure from the release of this product.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Ashtrix, raz8020, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A power hog before you start overclocking. No power efficiency from 7nm due they had to up the clock speed:) Same old but in new clothes.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is the trouble when people get hung up on a magic number, like "7nm" and everyone gets excited about it. Smaller is not automatically better. At the end of the day, you measure results. If the results are better, it's a better product. If not, then the product is either a waste of time and money, or just a total flop if the numbers go the wrong direction. I think in this case it is a better product, but still just not good enough to want it. And, not any better than what we already have. Had they released something like this in 2015-2016 as competition for Maxwell, it would have been really exciting and amazing.

6. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    According to Notebookcheck, the Razer Blade with 8750H, RTX 2070 Max Q and FHD 144 Hz screen consumes a constant 155W during Witcher 3 and gets up to a maximum of 182W (having a 230W adapter).
    It will be interesting to see what the results are with the 180W adapter in the Clevos. Let's hope it's enough to not limit the system

7. TomoPrime

TomoPrime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe you are right. I also want to know if this is 80w or 90w 2080MQ. Heck I wish we knew what MQ we are getting for all models.

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    180W wasn’t a problem on the P650SG because it would disable Turbo Boost on the CPU when the GPU was loaded. After flashing a non public release EC mod on my P650SG that disabled the CPU throttling under GPU load, it could fully utilize the 230W aftermarket adapter I bought when running both CPU and GPU overclocked.

9. ChebyshevKev

ChebyshevKev Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If this Acer Triton 500 Review is any indication - 180W PSU will cause battery drain during gaming sessions...
    "This laptop charges via a standard barrel-plug and our pre-production sample was delivered with a compact 180W charger.

That’s however under-powered for an RTX 2080 Max-Q configuration, and as a result the battery slowly discharges during demanding gaming sessions, so you’ll have to take breaks after each couple of hours of playing. We’re looking for clarifications whether the final versions will also ship with a similar 180 W charger or a more adequate 230 W brick, which other OEMs are bundling on their RTX 2080 Max-Q variants."

I am wondering if an aftermarket slim 230W power brick would be an option, the price is still quite good for the spec....

hmscott and TomoPrime like this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    On the same arch it certainly better, this is just a workstation card that was only feasible because Nvidia set the prices so high.