Clevo 2019

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by steberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell the ram brand from those picture? Is it Micron or Samsung ?

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    +rep.
    A Watt (W) is a unit of power. 1 J/s (Joule per second) = 1 W (Watt).

So for twice the wattage, you get roughly twice the heat output.

Of course, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics dictates that nothing is 100% efficient, so you may not get ‘exactly’ twice the heat output, but you will certainly get more.

Ashtrix, Aroc, raz8020 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Coolers will have a thermal density they can cope with and a thermal max. A bit like power and current limits on a chip, then one or the other can be the restriction on performance.

Ryan Russ likes this.
  4. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Going back talking about the new Clevos, is it just me or on online shops you can preorder any model but the PB50/70? Incidentally, that's the notebook I'm most interested to, and there's not even a decent picture about it...

jellygood likes this.
  5. Ryan Russ

Ryan Russ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Concentrated heat is much less effective to move than heat spread out across a board. I've actually replaced not only the copper heatsink on both a p870dm with indium and silver, but also have experimented in that type of vein with larger and smaller loads to find the crosspoint between wattage of tdp, rating of heatpipes, and so on and so forth. A heatpipe of 95w theoretically would move more heat than three 30w heatpipes, but in practice, those 30w heatpipes remove more heat because of their area and the contact they make with the heatsink/baseplate.

Think of thermals less as a wave and more as liquid. 100psi in 3 3" tubes moves water faster than 1 9" tube at 33.33-psi. heat removal is definitely a complex situation because not only is the heat of a part a concern but also is the materials that act as heat transfer. Indium, for instance, is about 3-4 times as effective as silver solder, silver is a little more effective than copper.

What I did find out is that the copper on the heatsink of a 1080 is less a material to pull heat away, but more a material to spread that heat out so the heatpipes were more effective to remove it. I assumed that a CCHP would maybe work better but was surprised to see that in order to pull away the amount of heat that was required, a larger surface area was needed across multiple heatpipes, which is why the heatspreader was so important. Essentially, then, a higher density heat needed more surface area, thus required a heatspreader, in order to act as an efficient transfer of said heat. With a larger die, whether it is active or not, that becomes less an issue, and can effectively use a lower amount of working materials to accumulate and transfer that heat, lowering the TDP.

The TDP does not mean power used, rather power dissipated.

6. Ryan Russ

Reputations:
    Looking like an NDA until the 29th.

redbytes likes this.
  7. Ryan Russ

Reputations:
    Yes, exactly. A RTX can consume 240w but only put out 150w of heat.

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's not want I meant and also physically impossible.

Watt/mm^2 would be density of heat.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed so all energy consumed by a chip will he emitted as heat (since they dont produce noise, light etc)

Papusan and raz8020 like this.
  9. redbytes

redbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, but I thought that ALL models were under NDA, not just the PB5/7... too bad then, I'll just wait

10. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations: