Cleaning up and Speeding up my MK1 CF-19

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, Jan 7, 2018.

1. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the MK1, I snagged a 90gb Kingston last night. It was cheap! That guy now has only 41gb on the drive. And it is fully loaded with everything needed and used JUST for tuning my car. I grabbed a 160gb drive for the MK5, I actually put stuff onto that one.

2. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    So what is the verdict on performance with the SSD?

thewanderlustking likes this.
  3. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    I am waiting for it off of eBay, so it will be a few days or weeks! But the cleanup seemed to do wonders at least! I don't do much that is intensive with it, but I will try beating on it for a couple days once the SSD is installed.

My MK5 has to be fixed first as its HDD locked up HARD after I decided to use it as a jackhammer. Fell of the workbench and chipped the concrete floor. Didn't leave a mark on the case, but it was a hard hit and drive stopped screaming...

I am actually building another MK5 tonight for a friend/coworker. I have an image I made here that should have it running pretty quickly once I get to the software side of it!

4. thewanderlustking

Reputations:
    HOLY CRAP! I just finished the SSD install in my MK5, and it is night and day difference in boot times! The MK1 here is REALLY the computer that needs this speed!!! It is the computer I need to have almost instant boot up times with. When I am grabbing it, it is usually a small crisis. Needing to figure out why my car is doing something specific.

Problem here is the whole setting up drivers deal. As the old hands here know, drivers were not offered for W7 (I am guessing they still aren't). The 2-3 times I have had to do it, it took days of beating my head into walls to get the right magical order of the wrong drivers to make it work. The info is buried in several threads, including my old thread. But not easy to follow either.... Well at least my old thread was only 6 pages long...

I will try the "long game" approach with getting the MK1 online from scratch, but I am leaving the original platter drive intact. I did see some new software tools specifically for transferring from platter to SSD drives. I may explore that as an alternative, if the long game takes too long, or comes up against too many obstacles.

I have a nagging thought that somebody made a W7 installer DVD with the Panasonic drivers setup and slipstreamed into it for the MK1....

I still want to grab a spare caddy for the swap, but not sure that, and another power adapter I really need, are both in the immediate budget. In the meanwhile, I am going to see what oddities I have on hand for the MK1...

5. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I need to look but I think I have the Mk1 Vista restore disk, then go and upgrade to Win 7. I also have a Mk2 win 7 acronis .tib image. Did that trick a bunch of times with CF-30Mk1's to get win 7.

6. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I will see if istill have my driver folder with me at work. Should have the windows 7 drivers for a Mk1 with me.