Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crayaco

Crayaco Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great post! Thanks OREV!

I have a dv9207us and did this last night. Seems to be working well.

One question, i did delete the recovery partition on the HD. But did not do the
    "extend" thingy. Is the amount of HD space the recovery partition had lost to me now?

2. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you delete both partitions, then make 1 new one that uses all of the disk space, then you don't need to deal with extend.

Extend would only be used if you deleted the recovery partition but did not delete the vista partition. This would be a strange case.

3. Frequency

Frequency Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't think there's an OEMCert folder in the dv2500t. I'm just not finding any trace of it.

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Once my dv9500 arrives, I'll see if it's on there too. Maybe they found my guide and removed it! :)

5. elemenopee

elemenopee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice guide. It worked for me... and i'm not really too experienced with reinstalling an OS, let alone Vista.

6. karprive

karprive Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    orev and everyone on this thread...thank you. I followed the steps and was able to successfully complete the clean install of Vista. It definitely starts up and shuts down much more quickly...and no annoying HP pop-ups. So, thank you again. However, I do have some questions about drivers.

I read some of the other threads and it suggested that the only drivers that need to be installed are for (1) Audio, (2) Video, (3) Card Reader, and (4) Quick Play / Quick Launch. What about the other drivers? I noticed in the SWSetup folder that there are drivers for Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter, Lightscribe, Java, Adobe Flash Player, etc. Do these need to be installed as well? I tested to see if my wireless was working...and it does...so do I not need to install the Broadcom driver?

Any idea which drivers are important? I'm confused because the laptop seems to be working fine, but I'm not sure if these additional drivers will make things better or are needed.

Also, when I installed the drivers for the Audio and Video, I noticed that each folder had additional folders inside (V32, V64, etc.) with its own setup application. Does it matter which one I choose (setup application in Audio/Video folder vs. setup application in V32 (or whatever its called) folder)?

Thanks in advance.

7. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Vista includes a good number of drivers. So, its not really necessary to install all of HP's drivers. If everything is working fine I wouldnt bother about installing the HP drivers. As for as the Java and Adobe flash players - download and install the latest versions from their respective websites. Install Lightscribe only if you have a lightscribe enabled DVD/CD drive, if not that is just extra software running in the background.

The V32, V64 folder I am guessing contains 32bit/64 bit drivers respectively. HP uses different revisions of the audio cards in many notebooks, so they might have included drivers for all of these devices in the SWSetup folder.

8. karprive

karprive Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    miner...thanks for the info. This is starting to make more sense to me now. I'll go with the "if it ain't broke...don't fix it rule." Thanks again.

9. copeland

copeland Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I may have gone a stray....everythign worked as planned, but when I entered the :

cscript /nologo oem-install.vbs oem-cert.xrm-ms [product key]

I got no confirmation. I checked the serial in my os now with magical jellybean and the serial I have shows up, but the 30 day trial is still active in system...maybe I wrote it out wrong in the command prompt? I imagine those spaces are supposed to be used, and hyphens are necessary for the product key?

help clarifying is appreciated.

10. elemenopee

elemenopee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    try not using brackets [] on the product key... if i remember correctly i did this and it didn't work until i removed the brackets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.