Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As far as drivers, I didn't really look at them as they are all downloadable from HPs web site. Usually they are more updated versions too. The other stuff in there is software like quickplay, etc... some of which you can't download from HP. I was working on a list, but I'm currently laptopless. I'll be able to do more when the dv9500t is shipping w/ graphics.

2. weiser701

weiser701 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmmmm....i wonder if the HP drivers for the dv6000 will be compatible with the dv6500? it doesn't look like they have any drivers specifically for the dv6500 CTO on their website. maybe the upgrade utility will work. we'll just see when i get there. i'll probably burn my recovery disks this weekend and then i'll be ready to go.

3. weiser701

Reputations:
    ok, i followed the procedure and i now have a clean install of Vista Home Premium. oh man how it's a nice feeling not having all the junk in there. however, i wasn't able to get the activation working through the command prompt. i type in this:

C:\Users\XXX>cd c:\windows\oemcert

cd c:\windows\oemcert
    cscript /nologo oem-install.vbs oem-cert.xrm-ms XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (i really have my product key inserted there)

and this is what i get:

Install OEM Certificate
    Install oem-cert.xrm-ms...
    c:\Windows\OEMCert\oem-install.vbs<40,4> SWbemObjectEx: 0xC004F025

i don't get any error messages or anything like that, but i don't get any "success" messages either. it still says i need to activate within 30 days.

4. AtLarge

AtLarge Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    GOOD WRITE UP! Worked great! No changes necessary for a dual drive like mine. I just put everything I needed on the secondary. Might not hurt to mention in the write up about extending the Primary if you delete the second partition just for those who aren't that experienced. Thanx OREV.

5. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When you run that step in the cmd box, make sure you run it as administrator. Right-click on the "command prompt" icon and choose "run as administrator". Then type those commands in that cmd window.

If that still doesn't work, let me know.

6. weiser701

Reputations:
    you know...i figured that might have been the problem, but i thought i was already logged in as administrator since that's how my computer is setup. i was right-clicking on the command prompt after it was already open and i didn't see any option to "run as administrator" so i figured that just reinforced my assumptions. i never thought about right-clicking as i'm opening it up. that did the trick. thanks a lot. it really is no hassle at all.

7. SBR

SBR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here's an alternate method that uses the same trick that Orev has published.

In your OEMCert folder you should find a certificate file with the extension .xrm-ms. Take that file and put it somewhere with a short folder path like C:\.

Then go to Start and either press Run or find Run using the search function. Type cmd into Run and press enter (This will automatically run cmd prompt in with administrator privileges).

Type the following command to install the OEM certificate file:

SLMGR.VBS -ilc C:\oem-cert.xrm-ms

(Assuming you put the certificate file called "oem-cert.xrm-ms" in the root folder of C:\.)

The just activate windows the regular way through the welcome center or control panel.

Edit: with this method, it is fine to enter the HP OEM factory key when installing windows. You just cannot activate Vista until the OEM certificate has been installed. If you install the certificate before going online for the first time and entered the OEM during installation, windows will even automatically activate for you when you first go online.

8. dafish

dafish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just want to say thanks for this guide to a clean install. Everything went smooth and my laptop is running so much better without all the bloatware.

:)

9. KSC

KSC Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What is kind of sucking with the 64-bit edition?

10. f15hp

f15hp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    are you guys doing the clean install out off the Vista upgrade dvd from the upgrade program or your computers came with vista installed already??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.