Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taoggniklat

taoggniklat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok call me noob, but is there a special way to make recovery disks with this computer? (dv6000t)

I want to do a clean install of vista, and since it is a brand new pc, I just want to be careful.

2. taoggniklat

Reputations:
    And just to clarify, the Vista "Anytime Upgrade" disk that comes with the computer is the Vista Install disk? I use that disk to reinstall vista? Or is that only for upgrading Vista to another version?

Thanks

*edit* I am thinking about dualbooting XP and Vista on this machine, which means I need to re-partition the drives to make one for XP, So if anyone has any advice about setting it up as dualboot I would appreciate that too.

Does Vista use a pagefile like XP? On my desktop I have a partition setup just for the pagefile under xp. I was just curious if Vista does the same.

3. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are at least 2 manuals that came with your system that walk you through how to make the recovery discs.

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, the anytime upgrade disk is really just a regular Vista install disk. The regular install disk does it all and has all the versions of vista on it. You select what you want to do in the installer when you boot to it.

Every OS uses a pagefile -- it is a requirement of modern operating systems. There's no reason to set up a separate partition for it. You won't get any extra performance, and you'll wind up wasting disk space. If you had it on a different physical disk drive, then you *might* get a small benefit, but not if it's on the same disk.

5. taoggniklat

Reputations:
    Ok thanks.

Any experience setting up dual boot with the HP's?

6. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What pcmag is saying is that if you enter a "Vista Upgrade Activation Code" during install, it will not let you install to an empty drive...it will only let you update an existing windows copy. Therefore the writer recommends that on the 1st install pass you do NOT give it the activation/product code so that it does let you do a clean install (albeit valid for only 30 days), then you do a 2nd vista install this time using the Upgrade activation code and specifying the existing installed vista os.

The guide in this thread is similar except that once you have a clean vista installed (30-day limited), you just put the pre-activated keys back in so that you do not need to do a messy second install.

7. DrewN

DrewN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If the Magic Jelly Bean software doesn't work, would something like Belarc Advisor work?

8. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe, there are many programs that can get you the key. There's also a .zip file in that thread somewhere with a script I wrote that will get it for you.

9. DrewN

DrewN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^OK, if it doesn't work I will certainly try the script you provided. Thanks :)

10. weiser701

weiser701 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    orev,

just curious, do you have a list off the top of your head (or looking through the swsetup folder briefly) of the drivers you manually installed after the clean install? i browsed through the swsetup folder to see what i might need to reinstall but i'd like to know i'm installing the right stuff if i'm shooting for a CLEAN install...a fresh start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.