Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booyoo

booyoo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I came across this from pcmag.com:

"Past Windows versions have let you prove upgrade-readiness by inserting a CD of the previous OS during the install process. Vista doesn't; Microsoft specifically says "Windows Vista does not check upgrade compliance. Therefore, you cannot use an upgrade disc to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista." To work around this problem, insert your CD into your clean computer. Don't enter the code when Vista asks for your license key, simply click Next. You'll create a system sans activation code that's active for 30 days. Then reboot from the CD; you'll be able to install the OS as an update to your Vista installation. Now use the activation code."

I swear I don't understand what he is talking about. How is this different from what we are doing here? I am more confused.

3. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That method leaves you with a Vista install that will only work for 30 days, like shareware. There are some ways to extend the time to 90 days, though probably they are illicit. After that time is up, Vista goes into "Reduced function" mode until you purchase a proper key and activate it with Microsoft.

What we are doing here is installing the system with the key that's already been purchased, and activating it with the license that's already been activated, thus allowing you to use Vista as long as you like, LEGALLY using the license you already purchased. This method (IMO) is even more in license compliance than the upgrade trick.

Overall the installation procedures are pretty much the same, what's special here is that we can save the license key and certificate file and restore them later.

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I updated the guide to give more guidance with partitions and clear up a few things. What was it that you missed, so I can try to make that more clear?

5. AtLarge

AtLarge Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tried to get it. "The Page cannot be found". Must have just taken it offline?

6. oldgregg

oldgregg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, it didn't work.
    I ended up finding 2 other programs that work, & very well I might add.

The 1st one is winkeyfinder.

And the 2nd one, which I think is better since it gives you allot of information about your PC is System Information for Windows.

I then followed the steps outlined in post #1 & was able to finally rid my notebook of the 64 bit Ultimate install my 32 bit Ultimate without the annoying popup telling me my key wasn't valid.

On an unrelated note, Even though the glass & Aero worked, I ran the Windows Experience tool anyway & it went down from 4.6 to 4.4 when I used nVidia's latest driver over my original nVidia driver!

7. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I missed this part:

"You can only install the SAME VERSION of Vista you already bought. If you're laptop came with Home Premium, you can NOT install Ultimate." :D

The guide is fine. Good job!!!

8. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For those having trouble with the magic jellybean, try this script (attached file). Just unzip and run it. This works on my Vista install (but so did the magic jellybean)

EDIT: Don't use this. This is a very old post and you should use ABR instead.

Attached Files:

9. jimmies

jimmies Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This method works fine!

10. escoz

escoz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys!
    This tutorial worked perfectly for me!
    I have a TX1120US. I'm installing the drivers again. I can already see that the computer is MUUUCH faster.. there was so much crap installed, that the processor was always going to 30, 40%.. it sits confortably now at 1-2%..

Thankss!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.