Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpalosu

gpalosu Newbie

Reputations:
    I just thought I wasn't supposed to use the key from the sticker because of the "Why not use the key on the bottom of the laptop?" part from the guide's faq.

2. prroots

prroots Newbie

Reputations:
    My daughter has a Sony laptop running the OEM Windows 7 that can make very good use of a clean install. I don't have access to her computer at this moment, so I ran the ABR Version 1.7 Beta 1 on my Dell laptop. My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium with a family pack license. It's not the OEM XP that it came with. When I run ABR it generates just one file called 'backup-key.txt'. This file contains the COA of the family pack. My question is why didn't it generate two files as the directions indicated?

Update: I saw a similar post having this problem. I then run the program in a command prompt and it generated the error message, 'Could not find activation certificate !!!' Is this to be expected when running ABR on a non-OEM version such as mine?
    Pete

3. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ABR only works with OEM versions.

4. prroots

prroots Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I did call my daughter and had her download and run the program. It did generate both files. Also the key it generated did not match the COA which, as I understand it, is to be expected.
    Pete

5. sdjm

sdjm Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought my HP Pavilion with preinstalled Vista x64 bit in Feb 2009 and proceeded to register and activate everything. I want to upgrade to 7 and while checking my amount of RAM, found a message stating i have 4days to activate my Vista. When I tried I received the above mentioned error code. I can't find a phone number to call Microsoft. The activation screen will not let me get to that point. I contacted Microsoft to reactivate my Vista but since it was preinstalled I must call HP to bypass the OEM key. Hp wants $100 to do this because my warrenty has expired. All this because I am want to upgrade to Windows 7 but i can't because my Vista is not activated. I have had this computer for 2+ years and never had a problem. Now because of auto updates, I have to reactivate. Is there a way to do this with out HP? Can I reset to factory setting to solve this? Can I upgrade to Windows 7 without this activation.

6. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please start a new thread for this question.

7. capsulej

capsulej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did this and it worked, thank you so much.

8. ET1Mike

ET1Mike Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks orev! Followed the instructions and successfully performed a clean install of Vista Home Premium X86 SP1 on a Fujitsu Amilo Li1818. Only difference was I used Imgburn to create my ISO and I used Double Driver to backup then restore my drivers. The only driver that didn't install was something called Microsoft (asyncmac) Net. I'll look into that later, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems right now. SP2 is installed and the machine is online checking for additional updates as I type. So far everything is moving smooth as silk.

THANK YOU!

-Mike

9. jsmith71292

jsmith71292 Newbie

Reputations:
    PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh how I wish I would have seen this several hours ago. :(

A friend of mine upgraded my machine that came with Vista pre installed with a crappy version of Windows 7. My machine has been pretty much useless for a year bc the admin/system password was changed somehow after that was done. I called Dell and they gave me a new password and it got me in so I could get all of my pictures, music etc off of the hard drive. :thumbsup:

I thought I could use the OEM disc and do a reinstall and start over. So I did and it worked fine, until I realized that I didn't back up things like MICROSOFT OFFICE!!! :(:(:(
    Now I have no idea how I can get it back on my Dell laptop. I only the OEM discs (one for the OS and one for the drivers and utilities). My product key changed since the clean install... so my question is am I screwed and will never have my Microsoft office again???

**Now it's back to asking for ADMIN password AND now a WINDOWS password!!! :-(((**

Please help if possible!!! Thanks so much in advance!!!!!

10. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this post.
    I was able to move from 32 bit Vista pre-installed on an older Toshiba laptop to retail 64 bit Vista using this wonderful little program.
    I can now "gift" this laptop to someone who needs it knowing they have a clean uncluttered install.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.