Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaxxy

jaxxy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for this util, worked on my new Envy 17 (after trying to get the full version to work without success, the beta version has done the job).

2. Daytonairoc

Daytonairoc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    didnt work for me

3. i5evoSwift3814

i5evoSwift3814 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know that a clean install erases the recovery partition along with all the bloatware that came pre-installed. Since quickplay is also lost, is there anyway to install it? How would it be done if I forgot to backup the "swsetup" folder?

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You might be able to get back the software from the recovery discs using this guide: Accessing HP Recovery Disc Files | directedge.us

I have not tried to reinstall QuickPlay, so you will have to figure it out yourself. I'm pretty sure it uses a separate partition, so I'm not sure if the setup program will create that, or if you need to do it manually.

5. spico

spico Newbie

Reputations:
    hey orev:

# OEM Re-Installation Disc: (This one requires a bit more fiddling than the others, so consider it for more advanced users) Some OEMs ship their systems with a "re-installation disc". This disc may be be customized by the OEM to install only one version of Vista, but those customizations can usually be "undone" using vLite, and then will allow you to install any version (that you have a license for) from that disc. This modification removes some of the custom scripts that an OEM uses to automate the Vista installation. Sometimes they also customize the windows install files, but I think they just add drivers to them. Using this method does not give you a "pristine" install disc, but it should be enough to work. An example where you could do this is if you have a Dell Vista Business disc at work that only allows you to install Vista Business. You can modify this disc to allow you to install Home Premium on your home laptop.

* For Dell discs:
    1. Copy the entire Dell DVD to a folder on your hard drive
    2. In the "sources" folder, there is a folder called "$oem$". Delete it
    3. In the "sources" folder, there is a file called "pid.txt". Delete it.
    4. Open vLite and burn a new disc using those files
    5. Install vista. It should now allow you to choose a version of Vista to install, and also will not install the dell product key and activation files
    (Thanks to Silas Awaketh for the info that helped me figure this out)
    * Dell is currently the only OEM I have info for. If you have a disc from another OEM, please let me know and we can figure out how to add it.

I have 3 laptops with vista premium one which i have rec. discs for and that is a Sony Vaio came with 3 dvd's all three completely full i extracted the disc 1 and that seems that had all the information on it need the other 2 seems as if everything on them is Sony related so i am assuming i will not be needing any of that from discs 2 and 3 and the boot folder in them match the disc 1. i tried looking through the extracted disc one and could not find much to eliminate the Sony OS from it in order to use it bootable with the other 2 laptops, one of them which is Toshiba one dell. I might not be all that clear but i need little more input of what to remove from the discs so in order i have one for all three of the laptops.

any help would be great

thanks in advance

6. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What you have are Recovery Discs and those in general cannot be used to perform a clean install. You are better off downloading a real ISO image of the Vista install or borrowing a DVD from someone else. There are legal places where you can download the discs (search). Downloading is not illegal since you already have a license to the software.

If you want to modify the Recovery Discs to perform a clean install, that would be completely unsupported and also very customized for each recovery disc. You will have to figure that out on your own.

7. spico

spico Newbie

Reputations:
    any links that you guys might have i tried a few torrents but 90% of them are cracked seems as if none are oem licensed.

and thanks for your quick reply :)

8. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    All official Vista DVDs are the same. There is no difference between OEM and Retail discs. If you find versions that claim to be "OEM", they are probably also cracked and may come with viruses, etc...

The main guide in this thread contains md5sums of the official ISO files, both original release and with SP1 integrated. If you google on those md5sums, you should be able to easily track down one of the official/safe ISOs. Note there has since been a release of an ISO with integrated SP2, though I don't have that in the guide.

9. husky55

husky55 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Cannot download file? :( Am I the only one?

10. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The ABR beta does support Windows 7, so use that. I haven't gotten around to promoting it to a "real" release, but there haven't been any issues reported with the beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.