Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you installed Windows 7, ABR does not yet work with it. If you installed Vista, then please check the backup files and make sure they both contain some information. The Vista installation must be the one done at the factory, and cannot be updated to another version, such as if you used anytime upgrade to switch from Home Premium to Ultimate.

2. mattmjb0188

mattmjb0188 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was Windows 7 I used.

3. timtravel42

timtravel42 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. u0330v

u0330v Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Orev,

I don't know if this question has already been asked and answered or not but I was wondering if this scenario would work:

Let's say I'm doing this on a blank hard drive.
    1. Do a clean install using the product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop. The sticker product key is for Vista Business and I'm reinstalling the same.
    2. Call MS and activate over the phone.
    3. After activation is completed and Vista is running normally, does my laptop now have an activation certification file and a record of the product key hidden somewhere deep within the recesses of Vista?
    4. If so, can I use ABR to capture the now present activation certification file and the key, thus generating the "backup-cert.xrm-ms" and "backup-key.txt" files, respectively? ABR simply captures these two entities and generates a file for each during the backup phase, no? And it restores them during the restore phase, yes?

If I understand this correctly, a PC that was activated with a valid product key should have the activation certification file and, of course, a record of the product key. Doesn't the very nature of a PC with Vista being in the "activated" state imply that an activation certification file must be present, along with a record of the valid product key? Otherwise, how can Vista be in an "activated" stated WITHOUT the activation certification file and record of the valid key? Please clarify if I've got this mistaken.

Will this method work? Or will the ABR not be able to capture the activation certification file and the record of the product key? I've read that the ABR should be applied to the OEM install, the untouched and unaltered, from the factory state of the OS. Can you please confirm?

If ABR can do this, after installing and activating as outlined above, then I can do future clean installs as many times as I need without calling MS for activation, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

Many thanks for your guide and your continued contributions on these forums.

5. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you do a clean install there wont be any backup certificate file. These are present in OEM installations only.

6. u0330v

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply. I've edited my original post to make it clearer.

7. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vista keeps track of activation differently when activated over the phone/online vs when activated by the OEM. ABR is only designed to work with the OEM method. Your steps will not work when using ABR to try to backup the activation.

8. u0330v

Reputations:
    Ah, okay. Bummer. Thanks for clearing that up.

9. BondEternal

BondEternal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So far the reports I've been getting are mostly positive. Seems to be working well for most people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.