Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonesrubber

stonesrubber Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay ..... i have searched everywhere. Ebay, Digital Drivers, amazon, even called up microsoft and told them my computer has crashed and my recovery disks are not working ..... but my luck with findiong a windows anytime upgrade disk is just pathetic. i bought a dv7 a while back wiht vista 32 loaded. its slower than my v6000 i havd. i wish to upgrade to home premiun 64 bit and any help and i mean any help is more than welcome.

2. mattmjb0188

mattmjb0188 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To Orev, I'm expecting a new HP pavilion and your guide seems great but a little confusing.

1. The system will come with no recovery discs so how should I make my own?
    2. The Windows Anytime Upgrade thing is really confusing me, what if your system doesn't come with that?
    3.What IS EXACTLY NEEDED to perform a clean install? HP's don't come with system recovery anymore, would I need to order them?

3. BondEternal

BondEternal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. HP laptops come with a recovery disk-making software. It should be listed in the Programs list in the Start Menu. Just follow the instructions to create the recovery disks.

2. Then you'll just have to get the installation disk for Vista. Also, HP laptops never have the upgrade folder in their laptops, so don't waste your time looking for it.

3. You will need a retail installation disk (or an Anytime Upgrade disk, which is no longer distributed by Microsoft), your recovery disks (in case something catastrophic happens), a backup-ed copy of your license and key using ABR and a copy of all the drivers that you will need after the installation of the OS. (most important are the graphic and network cards drivers and the wireless adapter drivers, so that you can surf the Internet for the remaining drivers that you may have forgotten to get a copy of)

The HP system recovery partition is separate from the C drive; you can see it in "Computer", though you can't change anything in it (and it is imperative that you do not change anything in it :rolleyes: ). What is burnt to your recovery disks is the data inside this partition.

4. mattmjb0188

Reputations:
    Thanks, so once I do a clean install my recovery partition will still remain right? One last thing, if I don't do a clean install and just unistall bloatware can't I just clean my registry?

5. ConfusedRusty

ConfusedRusty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. BondEternal

Reputations:
    As long as you don't format the recovery partition during the clean install (you format the primary partition aka the C drive, instead), the recovery partition will still remain. However, make sure you create the recovery disks before you begin the clean installation process as clean installing will remove the recovery disk-making software, hence making another set of the recovery disks impossible. (Actually, it's not impossible, but it requires a "hack" and still must be done before clean installing). It is also possible to burn the recovery disks into ISOs and make copies that way, though I've never recovered my laptop using disks created by this method.

I should also warn you that clean installing formats the Master Boot Record (MBR), meaning that you will not be able to access the Recovery Partition during boot-up anymore by pressing F11. In theory, before clean installing, pressing F11 when the "HP" logo shows up during boot-up starts the recovery process. Clean installing removes this function.

What I did to restore this function was before I clean-installed, I created a copy of the MBR when I backup-ed my hard disk via Acronis True Image. After the clean install, I restored the MBR using Acronis again and the F11 function worked again.

However, making the recovery disks makes the recovery partition redundant, hence you can delete that recovery partition if you want the extra 10GB space (may differ on different laptops). However, if you're afraid that you can't take good care of the recovery disks like me, keep the recovery partition.

To answer your last question, as Orev and many others have said, it is completely up to you whether you want to go through the tedious process of uninstalling all the bloatware, or just perform a clean install. The problem with the former method is that some people are not sure whether uninstalling 1 program will cause problems on another program or whether some files will be left behind by the uninstaller or whether there are any hidden programs not listed the the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. As for the registry, it's a virtual jungle and if you don't know what you're doing, you could be looking at a situation where you will need to do a clean install anyways.

7. BondEternal

Reputations:
    You could, but the only thing you won't be able to do while perusing Orev's guide is that ABR may not work. Hence, you might want to wait until ABR is updated before clean installing. Also, you need to make sure that you're doing a clean install and not an upgrade; both are totally different.

8. ConfusedRusty

ConfusedRusty Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey what does everyone think of this program:

http://rongchaua.net/blog/windows-7-activation-backup-and-restore/

as a replacement for the ABR for Win 7???

9. ble89

ble89 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. mattmjb0188

Reputations:
    I just wanted to say on Friday I followed this exactly and backed up my activation and it failed to reload it. ??? I ended up activating with my OEM sticker on the bottom of my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.