Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. chumley

chumley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Warning:
    If you installed the HP QuickPlay software, then do NOT disable the Windows Error Reporting service. Without that service, you will get an error from qpservice.exe every time you shutdown or restart the computer. The TweakHound site that I mentioned earlier says that it is safe to disable that service, but apparently that is not the case with QuickPlay.

See this thread for more info:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=392000

2. Scormodo

Scormodo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Shoot... has anyone been able to locate an OEM Vista 64-bit install disc? I can't find one anywhere (other than paying full price... but I already bought the key). Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

3. nobscot6

nobscot6 Wise One

Reputations:
    If you can't find this file, try doing a google search for "OEMCertAutoInstaller.exe". It is a simple script/prog that can insert any of 31 diff tokens.dat into your install- simple to use. Or download it HERE. I guarantee it works!!!

Also, a retail Vista disk can be used as an ANYTIME UpGrade disk these days. Since SP1 is out esp. just boot w/ the retail disk and choose "Upgrade, not Custom". Don't install a serial during install. Then after completion, use the ABR tool to insert your oem serial and certificate into your install and it's activated and you're good to go.

4. Dan_555

Dan_555 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a question regarding the windows 7 upgrade preorder deal. First off I own a dv9700, if I buy the windows 7 upgrade disc can I do a clean install using windows 7? Will the windows 7 upgrade disc even work for the type of license I have with this notebook? What about if I were to completely format my HD and put the windows 7 RC1 on my notebook, can I then simply activate the RC1 with the windows 7 upgrade disc when I get it? Hopefully these questions make sense, I am quite confused about how this program works right now.
    Thanks for your help,
    Dan

5. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There;s no way to know how the W7 upgrade will work. This thread is only about installing Vista.

6. thick_guy_9

thick_guy_9 Newbie

Reputations:
    I get a message that PERL58.DLL is missing. Do I need to install PERL ?
    Thanks

7. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are probably referring to ABR. Please download the file again and try to run it. Make sure you have disabled anti-virus before running it, as that might interfere with the program when it runs.

8. thick_guy_9

thick_guy_9 Newbie

Reputations:
    I downloaded 1.3 beta. disabled Anti-virus.
    THere is a PERL incompatibility. From where did you download your PERL and which version is it?
    ======= UPDATE ========

The problem in my case was that Oracle had its own set up of PERL. So I uninstalled Oracle. I had already installed version 5.6 of PERL (from Active state archive). The default path where this gets installed is C:\PERL. The backup program looks for this path.

Anyway, the program took a backup of my activation.

Finally, I installed VISTA PROFESSIONAL with the DELL Reinstallation DVD, and the surprise was that it was already activated!!

Thanks anyways.

9. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1.3 beta? There is no such version. The highest release is 1.0. Can you tell me where you downloaded that version?

10. josher

josher Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Orev, I wish I could see the look on your face :)