Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longhornbsbll15

longhornbsbll15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Quick Question, exactly what is the "bloatware" that comes on the computer? Are you talking about all the programs labeled "HP xxxxxx?" Aren't some of these programs necessary? Such as the network wizards and so on? If i later on decide i liked one of these bloatware programs such as the roxio software or others, can i reinstall them from that windows SWSetup file? How would i do this and how would i go about licensing my versions?

Wanting to get the crap off the computer, but not wanting to F anything up either......

2. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At what step are you seeing that error message? If it's in the Command Window, make sure you have done "cd c:\windows\oemcert" first. Also make sure you have both files in that folder, the xrm-ms file and the vbs file.

Leaving your wireless or network connected should be OK, just make sure to UNcheck "Automatically activate when windows goes online". If you forgot to uncheck that, I don't know what will happen :). You can always start from the beginning again.

You bring up a good point. I have always deleted a partition and started from scratch, so I never had to deal with leaving stuff on the C: drive, like windows.old. I'll have to add that step.

All you NEED to run your computer is the operating system and the drivers. HP laptops come with a bunch of extra stuff, some of which is needed, other of which is not (to be fair, HP doesn't come with nearly as much crap as other systems). Some of it can be useful, which is why I'm suggesting you backup C:\swsetup. The HP helper software is useful, and you can reinstall that if you like. The stuff I consider bloatware are: Norton, muVee, rhapsody, yahoo search bar, and some others I can't think of right now.

As for licensing, everything in the SWsetup folder should install with whatever licensing it came with. I don't use that stuff really, so if anyone else has run into problems, let's hear about it.

And if you reallt F things up, that's what the recovery discs are for! as long as you have your data backed up, you can use those disks to recover to exactly the same condition as when you opened the box.

3. daemonjin

daemonjin Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone knows where I can get this Vista Anytime Upgrade CD? AFAIK, HP laptops don't come with this, right?

Thanks!

4. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

After an hour or so, I got the path thing right. You need to add this to the guide "make sure you have a minimal understanding of DOS." The certificate was installed successfully, but there was no activation. There were a bunch of lines like these:

the product key for xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxx was not present
    same these numbers here are different for each line
    same
    same
    same

I had to install Vista 3 times, and each time it wouldn't let me format drive C. I even used the g-parted disk to try to format, but Vista stopped it too. Finally, I gave up on installing Vista on drive C, and put it on another partition. Much to my dismay, windows.old was still there after the third installation. I am nuking the hard drive with Dban now. Thank you, Microcrap (greedy bastards) for making it so hard to use your product.

I am tired. I am frustrated. And I still don't know what to do. I notice there are 4 Yes votes. Common guys, I need help here. Don't feel like posting here? PM me. Enjoy your newly-activated Vista.

5. oldgregg

oldgregg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My dv9225 came with one, a 64 bit only version, which was odd since Ultimate 64 bit was preinstalled, yet my 9220, which came with Premium, did not come with one!

6. AtLarge

AtLarge Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine did. I'm just waiting for you guys to be sure you got it right then I'm dumping mine and reloading. :)

7. oldgregg

oldgregg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    • Were you using Vista already because this version does not show the key when I use it.

8. booyoo

booyoo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't understand why you guys care if windows 'activates' even 10 times a day your genuine copy.
    You can use the jelly bean version 2 beta 2.5 to extract your original key and use it on a fresh install. Activate online with no problem. Can be done as many times as you want as long as its the same hardware.
    Why bother with all this process?

9. oldgregg

oldgregg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's called, not having to call Redmond & as I stated, with my Vista the jellybean program dosn't work.

I saw until the forum went down that I was not the only one so I do not know how you guys get it to work on your Vista machines.

10. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just got help from a more experience member. You know who you are. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.