1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP & Compaq' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. snowmonster

snowmonster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I am having quite a bit of trouble getting this to work. I have a new HP laptop that came with Windows 7 home premium. Before reinstalling windows, I ran ABR 1.7 beta, and both files were made on my flash drive. After the clean install, I ran the restore, and it seemed that it worked, but I realized earlier that it told me I had twenty or so days left to activate my copy of windows. I just now ran the restore twice. The first time, I told it to proceed even though it said it appeared that it was already activated. I restarted and was not prompted to enter any product key, but when I reached my desktop it informed me that my cope of windows is "not genuine." I tried running the restore again, again telling it to proceed even though it appeared to be activated, then restarted, and at this point I was asked for the product key before getting to my desktop. I entered the product key given in the backup-key file made by ABR. Still it's telling me that the copy is not genuine. A couple of things to note: According to this (http://forum.notebookreview.com/win...-7-download-links-just-like-vista-before.html) thread, it was okay to remove the ei.cfg file before burning the .iso to create a Win7 DVD. I did so and installed Windows 7 Professional, which isn't what came with my laptop. Another thing to note is that I tried to activate my copy using the product key on the bottom of my laptop and in the backup-key file after realizing that my copy didn't appear to be activated after running the restore. Any ideas what went wrong and how I might be able to fix it?

2. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The keys are version specific, you cannot activate professional using a key meant for home premium.

3. gpalosu

gpalosu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have a Packard Bell laptop with Vista Home Premium 32bit on it, I tried this guide and everything seemed to have worked fine except the activation part. If i run activation-restore.exe again it tells me that it's already activated but in System Properties it still tells me that I have 30 days left to activate. I tried typing the key from the backup-key file but it gives me error 0xc004e003. Am I doing something wrong?

I forgot to say that I made a bootable dvd from the WAUUPGRD folder I had on my C drive and that's how I reinstalled Vista.

4. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can try this to see the activation status:
    1. Open a command prompt As Administrator
    2. Type: slmgr.vbs /dli

You can manually activate by doing this:
    1. Open a command prompt As Administrator
    2. Type, replacing XXXX with the product key in the backup file: slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX...
    3. Type, replacing file with full path to file: slmgr.vbs /ilc C:\path\to\backup-file.xrm-ms

5. gpalosu

gpalosu Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response, I tried what you said, this is what I get after typing the first thing:

Name: Windows(TM) Vista HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel
    Partial Product Key: MQ3CQ
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 42780 minute(s) (29 day(s))

The other two commands appeared to be successful but after typing the first command again I still got the same message as before. Any more help is really appreciated, thanks.

6. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's hard to say. The basic assumptions would be that you have to install the same edition of Vista you backed up from, so the original license would have to be for Home Premium. It's also possible the backup xrm-ms file is corrupt. If that's the case, there's no way to really get it back since you already reinstalled. You can try renaming it with a .xml extension and then open it in Internet Explorer and see if it has any errors. We're getting pretty far into deep technical debugging area though.

P.S. Make sure to reboot.

7. gpalosu

gpalosu Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmm well I made sure to pick Home Premium when making the iso file and reinstalling, so that's out I guess. I opened the xrm-ms file as an xml file and it seemed fine, the browser should report an error if something's invalid, right? Can editing something from it help with anything? If not, is there any chance that another Vista reinstall might not get into the same problem? Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to resort to the recovery dvd. Will that take care of the problem, or do I have to activate Windows manually in that case too? Oh and I did reboot, but no luck :(

8. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Recovery DVD would definitely work, and would allow you another chance at running the backup, though you probably want to reinstall again to get a clean install. Only other thing I can think of is that the SLIC table in the BIOS might be missing. This could be caused by a BIOS update, if you did that recently. Otherwise, I don't know.

9. gpalosu

gpalosu Newbie

Reputations:
    Nope, I haven't made any updates. I googled a bit about this SLIC table and it looks like I have it, version 2.0. Guess I'll try another reinstall and then the recovery dvd. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Without expecting any results, I tried changing the product key to the one I have on the sticker and somehow it worked. I don't know if that was supposed to happen, but finally, it's activated.

10. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sticker key is regular OEM key that doesn't care about SLIC/OEM Offline activation. Technically, totally different thing :)

11. gpalosu

gpalosu Newbie

Reputations:
    I just thought I wasn't supposed to use the key from the sticker because of the "Why not use the key on the bottom of the laptop?" part from the guide's faq.

12. prroots

prroots Newbie

Reputations:
    My daughter has a Sony laptop running the OEM Windows 7 that can make very good use of a clean install. I don't have access to her computer at this moment, so I ran the ABR Version 1.7 Beta 1 on my Dell laptop. My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium with a family pack license. It's not the OEM XP that it came with. When I run ABR it generates just one file called 'backup-key.txt'. This file contains the COA of the family pack. My question is why didn't it generate two files as the directions indicated?

Update: I saw a similar post having this problem. I then run the program in a command prompt and it generated the error message, 'Could not find activation certificate !!!' Is this to be expected when running ABR on a non-OEM version such as mine?
    Pete

13. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ABR only works with OEM versions.

14. prroots

prroots Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. I did call my daughter and had her download and run the program. It did generate both files. Also the key it generated did not match the COA which, as I understand it, is to be expected.
    Pete

15. sdjm

sdjm Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought my HP Pavilion with preinstalled Vista x64 bit in Feb 2009 and proceeded to register and activate everything. I want to upgrade to 7 and while checking my amount of RAM, found a message stating i have 4days to activate my Vista. When I tried I received the above mentioned error code. I can't find a phone number to call Microsoft. The activation screen will not let me get to that point. I contacted Microsoft to reactivate my Vista but since it was preinstalled I must call HP to bypass the OEM key. Hp wants $100 to do this because my warrenty has expired. All this because I am want to upgrade to Windows 7 but i can't because my Vista is not activated. I have had this computer for 2+ years and never had a problem. Now because of auto updates, I have to reactivate. Is there a way to do this with out HP? Can I reset to factory setting to solve this? Can I upgrade to Windows 7 without this activation.

16. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Please start a new thread for this question.

17. capsulej

capsulej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did this and it worked, thank you so much.

18. ET1Mike

ET1Mike Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks orev! Followed the instructions and successfully performed a clean install of Vista Home Premium X86 SP1 on a Fujitsu Amilo Li1818. Only difference was I used Imgburn to create my ISO and I used Double Driver to backup then restore my drivers. The only driver that didn't install was something called Microsoft (asyncmac) Net. I'll look into that later, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems right now. SP2 is installed and the machine is online checking for additional updates as I type. So far everything is moving smooth as silk.

THANK YOU!

-Mike

19. jsmith71292

jsmith71292 Newbie

Reputations:
    PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh how I wish I would have seen this several hours ago. :(

A friend of mine upgraded my machine that came with Vista pre installed with a crappy version of Windows 7. My machine has been pretty much useless for a year bc the admin/system password was changed somehow after that was done. I called Dell and they gave me a new password and it got me in so I could get all of my pictures, music etc off of the hard drive. :thumbsup:

I thought I could use the OEM disc and do a reinstall and start over. So I did and it worked fine, until I realized that I didn't back up things like MICROSOFT OFFICE!!! :(:(:(
    Now I have no idea how I can get it back on my Dell laptop. I only the OEM discs (one for the OS and one for the drivers and utilities). My product key changed since the clean install... so my question is am I screwed and will never have my Microsoft office again???

**Now it's back to asking for ADMIN password AND now a WINDOWS password!!! :-(((**

Please help if possible!!! Thanks so much in advance!!!!!

20. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this post.
    I was able to move from 32 bit Vista pre-installed on an older Toshiba laptop to retail 64 bit Vista using this wonderful little program.
    I can now "gift" this laptop to someone who needs it knowing they have a clean uncluttered install.

Thanks!