Clean Vista install WITH NO ACTIVATION

Discussion in 'HP' started by orev, Apr 29, 2007.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

455 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    17.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Some news for people having trouble with the newer laptops (dvx500 series). HP did make some changes, so the method listed in the guide won't work because there's no more OEMcert folder.

I'm working on this and should have something soon.

If you didn't get an Anytime Upgrade DVD, I won't be able to help with that - but I can tell you it's pretty much the same as a retail DVD.

2. Wolfpup

Wolfpup Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is it necessary to do this at all on HPs? My understanding is th at on Dells, the copy of Vista you get is tied to the Dell BIOS, so it's never necessary to activate it (you can reinstall on the same system as much as you want, same as you could with XP). Doesn't that work the same way on all the other big OEMs like HP, Sony, Toshiba, etc.?

3. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In the old days when just a product key was needed, that might have been the case. However, with Vista you need a signed certificate to activate the system. For OEMs (HP, Dell, etc...), there is information within the BIOS that is a component of the system, but you still need a product key and an activation certificate. That needs to come from Microsoft. On OEM systems, that key is preinstalled so you don't need to worry about it, unless you do a clean install.

4. Wolfpup

Wolfpup Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm honestly fairly certain this isn't the case with Dell's hardware that ships with Vista. There were threads on it over in their forums, and several people confirmed you didn't, including a moderator (who got trained on it, and is actually surprisingly knowledgeable about other stuff).

So I can't say first hand, but the info I've gathered seems to indicate it's activated just be installing it on the system it came with. I figured that would be true for all the big OEMs (unless it really isn't true about Dell either...)

5. ParrotSquawk

ParrotSquawk Newbie

Reputations:
    OK. I have read it all (here and elsewhere.)

HP DV6335se windows vista home premium.
    As such I have no physical CD to do any clean installs from.
    I tried to burn the recovery CD's (the info on how to do it is wrong for this PC, BTW.) The process almost completes DVD 1 then I get an error saying there is something wrong with the CD (dreaded error 20 IIRC).

finally, I found a recovery plan on the main menu and it is putting a new factory image on my PC. However, I can't do the clean install like everyone else can. Oh well.. what can you do...

6. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks OREV! The procedure worked flawlessly for me. Now I am running on a clean Vista install on my dv9207us from CompUSA. Quickplay and all the other stuff are working fine after driver re-install. I did remove partition 0 and 1 and recreated a new partition 0 with the full capacity of the hdd. Thanks again!

7. knp

knp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is also no OEMCert folder on my new DV6500T. I hope you come out with a new guide soon Orev! Thanks for your hard work.

8. Wolfpup

Wolfpup Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Seriously guys, I don't mean to barge in here, but are you SURE you need to do all this fancy stuff? I've confirmed neither Dell nor Sony handles it this way-you just reinstall using the included media and it's tied to the BIOS without activation.

9. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone who haven't done this yet confirm what they find in the Monitor category under Device Manager? I just noticed that it says Generic Plug and Play Monitor. But on the display device I still see the Nvidia GPU. I'm not having issues with it.. just curious as to why it says Generic PnP. Also the HP Webcam also shows USB2.0 Camera or something to that extent.

10. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    On my system using the HP image (unclean install), the monitor is "Generic PnP Monitor". On most systems, that's what the monitor shows up as all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.