Clean install or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Peon, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Peon

Peon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've held onto Windows 7 until the bitter end, but alas, it's here. Unfortunately.

Thus, I'm wondering if a clean install is still recommended for a smoother experience compared to an upgrade? Or has Microsoft improved the upgrade process to the point where the 2 are now indistinguishable?

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If I were you I would do a clean install. If you're going to do that, just do it right. Once all of your tweaks are done and your software is installed be sure to save a Macrium Reflect image so you can restore it easily in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Get ready to be unimpressed. Run a bunch of CPU benchmarks first so you can see to what an extent Windows OS X slows things down.

Papusan likes this.
  3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    First backup and to a image your current drive to insure your clean reinstall works should you need to use your computer again. For me I would use Acronis Home image 2017 since that works with NVMe drive backup and restore.
    Then you can wipe clean the drive-but make sure your new O/S product key is legit before doing so. Once you do and install the O/S then just custom the changes as you see fit for your new O/S to get started.