Clash of the Titans: NVIDIA GTX 680M SLI and AMD Radeon HD 7970M CrossFire

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Nice Vid Mr Fox,
    Have you had a chance to see Borderlands in action? There are some really nice liquid pooling effects.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  3. ARGH

ARGH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    how are you running sli 680m on the r1? thought it was not possible?

4. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    Its very possible, who told you its not? For those curious about 680M SLI vs7970M Xfire, check out my sig. ;)

5. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Glad you mentioned the GPGPU performance in the review. I also noticed that SpecViewPerf does favor the RED's this time.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The article turned out very nice and I appreciated having the opportunity to help with it.

Credit where credit is due! The compute performance of 7970M is clearly way ahead of NVIDIA's gaming performance oriented GeForce GPUs. For users that don't rely on that, especially gamers, it does not really matter. All indications are that move by NVIDIA was intentional, and the days of using a modded driver with a GeForce video card to spoof a Quadro card are over because there is now a significant difference in hardware. I am sure NVIDIA was losing money on Quadro sales that way, and I would not be too surprised to see AMD soon doing something similar with Radeon cards so people cannot spoof the FirePro. In a tough economic environment, it would be understandable for both companies to move that direction.

Had AMD released their new driver 2 weeks later, the article would have looked a little different than it does. The timing for the article was very good for 7970M. It's unfortunate that it took so long for them to release a decent driver. Hopefully, more will follow in spite of AMD's somewhat gloomy economic outlook. Regardless of whether you favor red or green, consumers need both because competition drives innovation and quality. Without it, there would be a monopoly on gaming graphics that would potentially turn out poorly for consumers.

7. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:
    It was a pleasure, I look forward to further collaboration in the future.

Sent from my GT-N7000

8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Such a great and comprehensive review. You should sticky a shortcut to it in the m17x forum since there are so many users there who ask the same exact questions you covered in your review.

One thing to add (and I might be totally wrong), but I haven't seen any notebooks running the 7970m with the stereoscopic 3D screen. All the ones I've seen with 3D screen use an Nvidia card. I imagine the AMD cards can run a 3D screen, so I just figured the manufacturers have some sort of deal with Nvidia to certify their MXM cards to run a 3D notebook screen.

9. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

The 7970M can output 3D but I'm not sure about a 3D screen. In the article, we were talking about 3D output (e.g. to an external monitor or tv) rather than 3D notebook display support. In fact, officially, AMD doesn't even support HD3D for the 7970M if you look at their page but the 6970M is listed. I guess they don't even care to update their page.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I have not seen any AMD-based 3D laptops either. Considering how long it took them to get to this point with the latest driver that does a nice job, getting a 3D driver that works properly might be a stretch for them with their financial resources being stressed and a shrinking workforce.

Starting a thread linked to another technology forum would not be appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.