Clash of the Titans: NVIDIA GTX 680M SLI and AMD Radeon HD 7970M CrossFire

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    12.11 beta 4 with 12.10 CAP1 is stable for me: firefox, photoshop cs6, darksiders2. (undervolted to 1.025v)

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What kind of increase in FPS or benchmark scores are you seeing? It should be a substantial improvement that puts the 7970M closer to 680M across the board... ahead in a couple of areas where it was lagging, in fact. It seems this is the first good driver out for 7970M. Hopefully, it will be the first of many. (Don't hold your breath on that, considering the latest rounds of layoffs at AMD.)

I am also seeing some improvement with the newest NVIDIA driver. At stock speeds the FPS is improved in a number of games, and 3DMark11 and Vantage scores are higher. Not sure if the driver is stable with extreme overclocking yet, but will soon find out.

3. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I see 300+ points in 3dmark11 with stock clocks.

4. deuceduzit

deuceduzit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hate AMD... now I get artifacts all over the place... tried formatting the system twice.... this is like my 3rd or fourth RMA set... I wanna beat someone down..... it was working fine a week ago... started it up Monday morning and have been having issues since.... god... what the hell is going on with these cards?!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    That's good... nice improvement for just a driver update. AMD deserves some credit for doing a good job on that driver release. I noted similar improvement with the 310.33 NVIDIA drivers.

That's not good... sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate to see examples of hardware quality and reliability being so inconsistent. It was exactly that type of variance in ownership experience that turned me from red to green in the last two generations of GPUs. It would have been a lot better, and much preferred, to have no valid reason to switch.

6. deuceduzit

deuceduzit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am do frustrated with these cards... It was great when it worked.... I just dont understand what is going on with these cards... it has to be memory degrading at rapidly... every RMA set would work for awhile and then die after a month or so....

EDIT - OMG! I just noticed some artifacts when on desktop.... I restarted and it went away... This is bad...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

7. GTO_PAO11

GTO_PAO11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can u send me the link of download? How is Arkham City and Skyrim?

8. SOS4DELL

SOS4DELL A Notebook Philosopher

Reputations:
    FYI: "Great Fox" is our Mr. Fox with a EHAG (Extremely Highly Advanced Gene) FOXP2... ;)

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    LOL, Brother SOS... I think GTO was asking who I was referring to in a previous post. But, thanks for the compliment. I am now a bushing red fox. ;)

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Here's a striking example of the difference NVIDIA PhysX technology makes in the gaming experience...

If you've got enough bandwidth, switch to 1080p and go full screen on this one. While you can often
    enable PhysX in some games with AMD video cards, the hit on gaming performance is very noticeable
    compared to a system with an NVIDIA graphics card. When you disable PhysX to regain the lost FPS
    you get an incomplete visual experience, as demonstrated by what you see in the inset video.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.