Clarification on m18x fans and software

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by chewbakaats58, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I just got my m18x with sli 580m's yesterday and I'm lovin' the beast!

Anyways, my question is...is there a fan (I know there is a heatsink) for each individual 580m video card? What fan adjustment software do you guys use?...I currently am using evga precision X, but doesn't seem to be working right as far as fan adjusting is going. Lastly, what cpu/gpu temp monitoring software do you guys use? Thanks for any help!

2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yes, each GPU has a fan, plus a fan for CPU. Use speedfan or HWinfo to control the fans (not needed IMHO). CPUID HWMonitor is my favorite for monitoring the temps.

3. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Congrats on your new arrival - nice machines, eh?

In answer to the fan question - yes, each card has its own systme fan to cool it down....one on the extreme left and right on the underside of your system. (If you unscrew the four screws near the battery compartment, you can slide off the back panel and see them along with the central cpu system fan)

As far as fan control, I think the most widely (and successfully) used software would be Speedfan - goes without saying that you need to make sure you know what you are doing with the fans as you would be responsible for any damage caused by incorrect use/overheating.

Software to monitor temps - well, a few good programs. Gpu-z for your 580's will do a good job, HWmonitor will give you lots more info on all monitoring of your system...also HWinfo is a good tool for monitoring.

4. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the very helpful suggestions. No, I don't plan on overclocking as I don't really see a need too..everything is running great. I just like to be able to adjust the fans and such and monitor my temp to make sure i'm not overheating is all.

5. blink_c

blink_c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Speaking of this, I recently got mine in, and the fans act a bit funny I think. After playing a game, both the CPU and GPU1 fans slow down, but the GPU0 fans keeps blowing like mad until the card is down to around 36C, then it slows down. Kinda weird I thought. After it hit 36C, it won't speed up again till in the 60s.

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    That's how it works on my beast as well.

7. blink_c

Reputations:
    It just wants the main GPU to "stay frosty" :D

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a bit annoying but I can live with it. Manual fan controls affect latency of the system and add to the hassle - you have to be very careful not to leave the fans locked on low rpm and then forget and start gaming.

9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Since you have GTX 580M SLI, simply go back to sytem BIOS A04 (locked or unlocked) and your fans will start behaving better. I am actually getting lower CPU and GPU temps using A04. (A05 was designed for AMD 6990M CrossFire setups that were experiencing overheating and thermal shutdown.)

For manual fan control during benchmark runs, I am using the latest HWiNFO64 and don't have to worry about the fans quitting. I used SpeedFan for a while and had issues with the fans randomly never coming on. A couple of times I had to reboot to get them working correctly again using SpeedFan.

10. blink_c

Reputations:
    I'm on A04 though :eek:

I'm not too worried about it though, everything seems to working properly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.