Chrome's stupid new rounded look - You mean it's pretty? Or you mean it's Ugly?

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Papusan, Sep 9, 2018.

?

You like the Chrome's stupid new rounded look?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The UI did feel like it was optimised for iPads or chromebooks. It will get better in coming days.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The greater problem is that the extra icky things are not limited to Chrome. The first priority for the whole industry should be to get rid of all the white. Not only is it disgusting to look at, it really irks me when it is nearly impossible to identify all of the fields where text should be typed in because the data entry field is exactly the same color and blends into the background. I don't know how often, but probably more than half of the time, filling in a web-based form, you think you are done only to hit submit and get an error because a required field you never even noticed was left blank. And, then some of the info you entered has to be re-entered a second time because the web page did not save it because it was "sensitive" data.

The Windows 10 look and feel is really screwing things up in terms of web design. I really do not understand how anyone could ever find it aesthetically pleasing. It also sucks having everything so spread out on a web page. Having everything condensed looks better and it is more efficient with less scrolling. The pop-out side menus is also grossly inferior to legacy top menu navigation. All just so we can have a sucky smartphone experience on PC. The people responsible for this deserve a lobotomy with dirty gardening tools.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Why not use Themes which darkens the UI a bit.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-incognito-dark-t/ahifcnpnjgbadkjdhagpfjfkmlapfoel
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/morpheon-dark/mafbdhjdkjnoafhfelkjpchpaepjknad
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/black-carbon-+-silver-met/lodhggoaglindpoejnjldimdlikkphph
    Maybe you'll find something in about:flags of chrome.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I will check in flags again, but I did not find anything the last time I looked. The only issue with themes is they do not apply universally to all content on every web page. The Chrome home page looks fine with my theme. Go to any other web page and the ugliness returns because ugly is how the content creators designed their web pages. Sadly, fixing "modern" atrocities with the Chrome UI won't fix the ugly web design that is so popular.

At least YouTube has a dark theme. Not perfect, but definitely an improvement. Everyone else should follow suit.

It doesn't have to be a dark theme to look nice. All it takes is a little contrast, lighten up on the absurd abuse of white on everything and get rid of the bloated look and feel.

upload_2019-1-19_23-40-16.png

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    BTW, which theme did you apply?

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    First kill the old nice GUI with the change to stupid new rounded look, then Kill Ad Blockers.
    People Are Mad That Google Chrome May Kill Ad Blockers Anandtech.com | January 24, 2019

Google has proposed changes to Chromium, the open source engine used in its Chrome browser, that could effectively kill ad blockers as we know them today. That isn't the stated reason for the changes, of course. Google says it wants to make Chrome extensions more secure, better defend user privacy and ensure page load times aren't increased by unruly extensions. But some are arguing the move could be more detrimental than that.

Here's what the Ghostery ad blocking company said in a statement, as per Gizmodo this week:

“This would basically mean that Google is destroying ad blocking and privacy protection as we know it. They pretend to do this for the sake of privacy and browser performance; however, in reality, users would be left with only very limited ways to prevent third parties from intercepting their surfing behavior or to get rid of unwanted content.”

On January 22, developer Raymond Hill made a similar point in a discussion about the change.

"This essentially means that two content blockers I have maintained for years, uBlock Origin ('uBO') and uMatrix, can no longer exist," he said.

To say uBlock Origin would be missed if it disappeared is an understatement; it's been installed more than 10 million times from the Chrome Web Store alone.

What next?

You can probably see where this is going.

Google might not move forward with the proposed change to Chromium. But even considering this shift demonstrates the potential risks of giving one company so much influence over the web.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  7. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    In doing so, I can safely say a large sum of people is going to change browsers.. adblockers are an integral part of one's web surfing experience.

I sure as hell won't want to look at ads if I can choose not to.

Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    80% of the users don't even know how to use extensions or addons on Chrome or Firefox. They use stock browser.

Aroc likes this.
  9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I'm afraid you are right.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Papusan, Vasudev and jaug1337 like this.