Chrome's stupid new rounded look - You mean it's pretty? Or you mean it's Ugly?

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Papusan, Sep 9, 2018.

?

You like the Chrome's stupid new rounded look?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I went with Firefox.
    Feedback does pose too little value and by the time they look at the feedback I'll be done with product anyway!
    My general rule is allow fallback to older UI or something officially very easy to achieve using UI rather than going to advanced mode. Keep it simple for everybody. Those who like new UI let 'em use it and those who aren't should be allowed to keep old UI.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I had used Mozilla and Firefox for years, but since switching to Chrome some 5 or 6 years ago, I am unable to tolerate it. I have tried to go back to Firefox many times and I just find it way too annoying, unattractive and cumbersome compared to Chrome.

Google is like NVIDIA to me... hate lots of things about both of them, but everything else sucks a lot worse so I choose the least disgusting and most tolerable option.

One thing I have learned over the years is that being the best at something is not evidence of greatness. It is often only proof that you are lucky enough to be the least crappy player in a game where literally everyone sucks.

3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Firefox is really good. I don't give much preference to UI rather I give importance to How it performs in real world and now its more chrome like. You can install chrome extensions but its little buggy. Except for Download managers, FF is really good.
    I don't like Chrome at all but I am willing to use Chromium or Opera.
    At least on phone I use same addons that I use on PC on a damn old Samsung android Nougat with 1GB RAM with 5-6 tabs and anything more it crashes. FF consumes just 200-260Megs even with 8-10 addons on Phone. The same thing on PC consumes around 1.5GB with 10-15Tabs open.

Starlight5 and Aroc like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I do not care for it. I like Chrome UI better and better synchronized across all of my devices. Bookmarks, passwords, history, places, everything is always at my fingertips on eveey device i am logged into and Firefox does not handle that as well for me. And, exporting between them is not graceful.

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Hmm well, FF lacks that feature of syncing using google account.
    I like FF for the fact that FF profiles can be switched from one in windows to Linux or other way around w/o much difficulty. I'm lazy to setup everything new. I don't do syncing about keep local profile backup which keeps all privacy tweaks intact.
    The UI is kinda similar but how productive it is depends on your preference which will not be same as mine.
    I totally get your point. You want Handoff/Continuum feature on all apps you use so that they're synced and keeps a tab on activities where you left it off some time ago and allows you to continue where you left it.

Aroc likes this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    I love and use Firefox for most of my web-browsing, but also have to use Chrome for one of my jobs. See no evil in the rounded look, I even kinda like it . Syncing tabs beetween multiple devices, either in Firefox or in Chrome, would be a dire nightmare for use case - I often run hundreds of tabs on each device, and only 5-6 of them overlap. \=

Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not only pushed out ugly New rounded look...
    View attachment 164090
    Chrome 69 Adds Forced Login, Threatens Privacy: How to Fix it
    Techpowerup.com | Yesterday, 19:05
    There was a time when Chrome users could be safe and think that what they did in Google Services (Gmail, YouTube, Maps, etc) was separated from their actions in the browser. One thing wasn't necessarily tied to the other, but now things have changed - and without any public disclosure from Google.

Starting with the recently published Chrome 69, if you use this version of Chrome and log into any Google service or site, you will be automatically and magically logged into Chrome with that user account. A systems architect called Bálint disclosed a problem that changes Chrome behavior in a way that could potentially harm user's privacy.

Fortunately, users can disable this forced login policy. To do so, you must use Google Chrome flags and change one of the parameters to avoid problems.
    [​IMG]
    The steps are the following:

1. Go to "chrome://flags/#account-consistency"
    2. That will show the flag 'Identity consistency between browser and cookie jar' select "Disabled" from the drop-down menu
    3. Click on "Relaunch now"

After that, you will be able to keep the old Chrome behavior, and logging into Google services and sites won't log you into Chrome.

Aroc and Vasudev like this.
  8. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Google Chrome's New UI Is Ugly, and People Are Very Angry hardocp.com | Dec, 29, 2018

Not everyone was a fan of Chrome’s Material Design refresh when it debuted in September with the release of version 69, but there was some good news, in that users could revert to the old theme by visiting the chrome://flags page and modifying a setting. Unfortunately, Google has incited the wrath of those who hate mobile-first, eye-searing UIs by removing that option this month to force its adoption abortion. The company’s engineers are advising complainants to switch to another browser, as those who downgrade to an older version to get the old UI back are opening themselves up to security risks.

[​IMG]

For the past two to three weeks, social media sites like Reddit and Twitter have been flooded with complaints about Chrome's new UI and users wailing about not being able to switch back to the old style. Most of the complaints that Chrome users are bringing forward are legitimate. It is incredibly harder to find a desired tab on the tab bar with the new UI, compared to the old one. Furthermore, Chrome's new UI also broke users' ability to mute tabs, which is an inconvenience of its own.

----------------------------------

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-chromes-new-ui-is-ugly-and-people-are-very-angry/

The new Chrome UI is not that bad, but tweaks to its tab bar are definitely needed. Just like Microsoft and Mozilla, Google is not going to bring the old UI back, but if they know what's good for them, they won't ignore this vocal feedback from its userbase, otherwise, they might see Firefox-like consequences.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.