Chrome's stupid new rounded look - You mean it's pretty? Or you mean it's Ugly?

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Papusan, Sep 9, 2018.

?

You like the Chrome's stupid new rounded look?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    New doesn't always look better. At least not for me.
    Make Google Chrome Show HTTP and WWW parts of URL
    Starting in Chrome 69, the browser features significant changes to the user interface. These include a 'Material Design Refresh' theme with rounded tabs, the removal of the 'Secure' text badge for HTTPS web sites replaced by a Lock icon, and a reworked new tab page. Also, the browser hides the protocol name (HTTP/HTTPS) and the WWW prefix from the URL when the address bar is not focused...

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    1. chrome://flags
    2. UI Layout for the browser's top chrome --> set to 'Normal
    3. Profit

Dennismungai likes this.
  3. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't use it often, but I don't mind the refresh. the previous version looked like early 90s internet anyways. This looks more modern.

5. diggy

diggy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dig it

kojack likes this.
  6. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I appreciate the fixes people have posted in this thread. I am personally really not a fan of the new look and reverted my gmail back to the old style as soon as I found a way and now have gotten Chrome back to how it used to be. Literally came into work and my work browser after noticing it last night on my desktop and I was just thinking to myself how much I was not a fan, and hit new posts on here and this was the first thread that came up.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It has also trickled down to their mobile apps. Chrome (and even Google Photos) on Android.
    Material design seems to be an inevitability as far as Google's products are concerned.
    I'll try applying the fixes here on the mobile google chrome to see if I can restore the old look.

Mr. Fox, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yup, the sucky looking UI update screwed my LG V30 and the tweak doesn't work on the Android version of Chrome. The extra white and rounded edges look like utter feces, but it seems like I am stuck with it. Fortunately, I only use a smartphone for web browsing as an absolute last resort option and I seldom find myself in that sorry predicament.

I really resent it when Nazis have the gall to make decisions for me and then block me from fixing their screw-ups. If I wanted it to look different, I would make it look different. Bastards.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I don't see the gall, to be honest. They develop the software, and they have all the right to decide which direction their software should take. Just because it is provided free of charge doesn't mean every decision they take can be equated with the Nazis, and neither do they need to allow you to change it as you see fit.

Don't like it, raise an issue on their developer forum, and see the response... Or better, develop your own competing browser :) After all, the Chromium code is open source.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If it was important enough to burn calories on it, I would. If it gets to the point that I can't stand it then I will probably just stop using, uninstall it and find something else that is less disgusting. I don't have the time or desire to provide feedback or develop anything for something like Android or iOS just because they are not important enough for me to bother with it. I'd be more inclined to do something on the PC version. I'm probably not ever going to care enough to burn any calories on making something better for a smartphone.

The way I generally deal with this sort of nonsense is once I have things the way I want them, I just lock everything down and block updates to keep a static environment. That eliminates most opportunities for annoyance or inconvenience.

I don't know how to do that on my smartphone, and haven't taken time to figure it out. And, I probably never will due to it being really low on my list of priorities.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018