Chromebooks now get Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Primes, Nov 23, 2017.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Projection and a lack of self awareness are the main traits of the net neutrality shill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you opened up a thread to discuss this, or are you planning on continuing to drop nasty OT comments about how Net Neutrality is a bad thing here and in the "Random Picture thread"?

3. hmscott

Reputations:
  4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    jaug1337 and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    don_svetlio and Primes like this.
  6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Indeed. If only Android/Chrome OS was half-way decent I'd probably be happier with Chromebooks.

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's so frustrating, I've been so close to so many transition points between a real OS and a GUI OS merging over the years.

With Apple being the closest - actually shipping A/UX and now MaxOS X - except Apple went with a non-UNIX / BSD / Linux micro-kernel and then lost the will to make / integrate updates from the UNIX side back into MaxOS X and so it just keeps getting older, and older, and older.

If Apple had gone completely UNIX compatible throughout and done what all good UNIX / Linux computer companies have done - stay current with the source - it could have been beautiful - and Apple instead of fighting against Enterprise hardware could have been a force in the Enterprise, as well as the desktop.

After Apple lost their Enterprise push, due to a poor OS choice and lack of currency in the OS with cutting edge developments, it's like Apple gave up on the desktop / workstation market.

All because they had to be "different" with their OS underpinnings.

Same will happen with Google if they kill compatibility with Linux source growth and end up in the same sad state.

That's why I want to see Google do it right for once, it would be nice to see it actually happen, who knows it could catch on and replace Windows.

MacOS users would probably plod on for a while, maybe Apple would even have a Linux + MacOS GUI push to match, wouldn't that be fun?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    don_svetlio likes this.
  8. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just an update for anyone wondering how Office apps licensing works on chromebooks, this update direct from microsoft was recently posted:

source

hmscott likes this.
  9. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    )
    First, after reading this ridiculous volley of posts I need to tell you, Mitlov, that you have nailed it with this one! (PS, biased towards your "side" in this debate because, a) I am a huge laptop fanboy and have been for years and have only last week discovered Chromebooks by purchasing a Samsung Chromebook Pro on sale for $400 on BF. I have rarely reached for one of my 8 other laptops (flagships, all) since! For what they do - and that covers 80% of the time I spend on a laptop - this little "toy" is a joy to use and I am so much more productive on it than on any other device. Just as they are worthless for making toast, they are also useless for One Note in it's present Chromebook execution. That's why I still have a toaster and a Thinkpad X1.

That was my "a)" reason for fining your pov more compelling, Mitlov. The other is loyalty: I remember having debates with you going back to Sony Z machines 7 years ago. You were brilliant then and you still are! Good to run into you again, buddy.

@hmscott: you need to chill out. We're not talking about the meaning of life or even a truly critical aspect of the future of technology and its impact upon our lives. We're talking about appliances for doing things we did in entirely different ways before the mid-90s when the www was commercialized. Since then, the everyday tools we use to get things done in life have evolved to the point that hardware is so advanced and so cheap that you can get a lovely device for expeiencing 95% of what the Interenet has to offer (including email, messaging and, [sigh, dread] social media for $400. Samsung's Chromebook Pro is faster, smoother and has better display and inking capability than any of the $1,000 - $1,500 I've thrown away on overpowered Internet access appliances. As for the Pixelbook, I am about a week away from buying one because: 1) Android apps (particularly entertainment consumption ones) require local storage due in large part to flaws in the Chromebook software architecture that doesn't allow use of SD card storage for the apps themselves nor for local files I wish to store on what is becoming my main "technology companion" for all but the most application-software-intensive work I do, which at 65 and semi retired, I do less and less of, and the Pixelbook is the only Chromebook I'm aware of that offers 128GB+ of local SSD storage; 2) though I haven't come upon any gating uses, including 20+ open windows and 5+ Android apps, I anticipate that I will indeed hit a wall and I don't particularly wish to be encumbered in my use of this marvelous device for lack of RAM or cpu power, the likes of which I surpassed over 5 years ago on all my laptops. Translation: I want 8GB of RAM and at least a Kaby Lake 4.5 watt i5/i7 cpu so there is exactly one product that could possibly meet my needs: Pixelbook; and 3) while $1,000 may seem like a lot of money to spend on a gimped laptop that can't run software, since the kind of stuff I need to run is increasingly fully accomodated by this format and frankly, what I'm paying for is the cpu, SSD, RAM, WUXGA (eye-popping gorgeous) display and a supremely comfortable keyboard/trackpad/stylus input system (using a non-Pixel Wacom stylus) and If you took an ultrabook with the same quality hardware and deducted the cost of the Windows OS, hardware of this caliber would be fairly priced at, you guessed it, $1,000. Have you used the Pixelbook? We're talking class-leading look and feel, easily as nice as the best business class laptops I own, for $1.500 - $2,000.

Oh, one last thing. You might want to re-read the title of this thread. No one has really talked about using MS Office on Chromebooks. It sucks! It's so bad, I'm more likely to use Google apps to the extent that I have to view/review and occasionally design documents and spreadsheets. I'm sure MS will figure out that it's in their interest to let those of us who are paying for a full subscription to Office 365 for Windows to pay perhaps 15% more to be able to have one additional install - on a Chromebook. The hardware (especially that which I'm about to upgrade to) can easily handle it and I don't think MS will find it in their interests for millions of students to graduate high school without having touched a MS product.

Peace. Happy coding.

hmscott likes this.