Chromebooks now get Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Primes, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    So.... they will now also have MS Office rather than simply being expensive browsers?

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There was some controversy about Microsoft limiting Office for Android on ChromeOS to devices that had screen sizes of 10 inches or less or something to that effect. This has apparently been fixed so all Chromebooks can now install the Android Office suite. I've been using it for a while on mine, and it works surprisingly well.

don_svetlio likes this.
  4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes.
    Expensive browser

and

Fast startup ✔
    Sandboxed OS ✔
    Encrypted storage ✔
    Great battery life ✔
    Local storage ✔
    Offline support ✔
    Built in PDF viewing ✔
    2FA support ✔
    Pin unlock ✔
    Android phone proximity unlock ✔
    Work with MS office docs ✔
    Google play store apps ✔
    Cloud sync ✔
    One click OS update ✔
    EDU enrollment ✔
    Install MS office apps ✔

:vbsmile:

hmscott and Mitlov like this.
  5. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Still just a browser ;)

hmscott likes this.
  6. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not exactly. Android apps on a chromebook run in a sandboxed container and have nothing to do with the browser. Also the Files app, Photos app, and video playback app on a chromebook are separate from the browser.

Mitlov likes this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Nope. If it was "just a browser," it could do literally nothing without an internet connection. That's not the case.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So it does "almost nothing" then? ;)

That's the problem with Chomebooks, it does nothing I want to do on a laptop, except a few items I do on my phone - large screen phone.

I need to carry a laptop, and a phone, why would I add a Chomebook to my carry around bag when I could add a Macbook (Air) or Tablet (Android, Win, PC).

To me the Chromebook has always been that Linux laptop that for whatever reason Google just won't release.

Same for Linux as Android, what a disappointment it was to me (and many others) when it turned out Android was a suck-set of Linux, just enough to make you hopeful, but not enough to allow porting of useful Linux applications.

Google wake up, give us Linux on phones and laptops, and put your pretty gui's on top of it, but let us get a shell window and full linux support!!

Adding MS Office to Chromebooks will likely religate a bunch of sad folk to using Chrome instead of getting a full PC or Mac laptop or desktop, now that's depressing. :(

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Starlight5 and don_svetlio like this.
  9. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Funniest part is that my 2012 iPad still handles work better than some Chromebooks I've seen and has better battery life so yeah, I agree with @hmscott entirely.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If you're already carrying a laptop PC with you and want a full Windows PC/MacOS experience, it's not for YOU. That's fine. But it doesn't mean it's useless. For a lot of people, inexpensive hardware and a simple interface, plus better multi-window management than an iPad in a folio case, has a lot of appeal. Tell me what other OS gives you a screen comparable to a Samsung Chromebook Plus (12" 2400x1600 3:2 IPS) and a keyboard and trackpad and touchscreen, all for an out the door price of $350.

If that device can do Office and a web browser in a simple malware-resistant format, that's all some people want and a killer value for the dollar. It's not for everybody, but nothing is.

As for "offer Linux machines instead," 2017 was not "the year of Linux on the desktop" and I doubt 2018 will be either.

hmscott and Primes like this.