Chromebook section?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Announcements and Guidelines' started by kojack, Oct 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How about getting a chrome OS and Chrome book section started in here? They are very interesting devices, but are still "notebook" in definition and useage!

The new pixelbook is pretty dandy!

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Anyone else interested in a Chromebook section? For or against, I'd like to hear opinions.

Charles

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Do we need one? I mean, the threads can be placed in each OEM's sub-section. Maybe a single owners' lounge somewhere?

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's a good question whether threads in the individual Manufacturer forums are sufficient.

The case for a dedicated Chromebook section would be if the different manufacturer's devices have more in common than separates them, thanks to their "Chrome" nature. IOW if it's going to be more general "Chrome" discussion than device specific discussion. If we believe that is the case, a Chromebook section would make a lot of sense, so that owners of different devices can participate without having to start individual threads for the same topic.

I have no firsthand Chromebook experience, so I have no strong opinion either way.

One benefit if we make a Chromebook section (as opposed to a Chrome OS one) is that it would draw discussion of other OSs on Chromebooks, which I understand is increasingly popular.

ALLurGroceries likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The way I see it, is, there is a Linux, MacOS, Windows, section but no chrome OS section. Most of the manufacturers sections could and probably do include chromebooks, The only thing you need a GOOGLE section for pixel and pixelbook conversations. But I see no reason why this should not be included here. I come here for almost all my discussion regarding computing since 99.99999 percent of my computing is notebooks.

6. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    don_svetlio likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    A Chrome OS section would make more sense since the devices themselves are still laptops and their design isn't fundamentally different from other machines.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    As noted, we merged our Chromebooks forum with the Other manufacturers forum (where Chromebooks was a subforum) due to lack of activity.

I'll entertain the idea of a ChromeOS forum, though. Any interest in that?

Charles

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think until we see more activity in there, no need for a dedicated sub-forum.

We can do Chrome Books & Chrome OS sub-forum. Just like we have Windows & Software

One sub forum should suffice

saturnotaku and don_svetlio like this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For once I agree with you. but in the sections where the different manufacturers are, they just need to add google. So the people with or interested in the pixel lineup can have a place to communicate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.