Chrome OS - What a disappointment

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 29, 2021.

1. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mental Outlaw (Youtube) mentions this from his experience working at bestbuy saying people would come in ask what computer u recommend them but when you ask then what they need it for they have no clue. They just want you to tell them what to buy and what to use on it so they don't have to really think about and they don't ask why to run this or that they just say ok.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Exactly. Macbook buyer alert on aisle 10.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    TheDantee likes this.
  3. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This sums it up and when you have idiots on commission it means using your jedi tricks to make more money off the sale. Consumers are lazy and uneducated and sales people are lazy about educating them in most cases as time is money.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's more than that many don't want to really learn anything about it or how it works and would rather let someone else think and make decisions for them. You can't teach someone unwilling to learn

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Also, many of them are as ignorant and uninformed as the people they presume to enlighten or counsel as to what they should purchase. Persuasion is a skill that can flourish in sales with little or no supporting technical knowledge. It's all about know what to say, how to say it, and making the buyer believe you know what you're talking about. The reality that many buyers assume the salesman knows what he is talking about is also a factor. Consumers would be wise to replace the concept of "trust but verify" with "verify, don't trust" but that's generally not what happens. They trust without verification. Their buying habits reflect their approach to many things in life. They believe what they see/hear in the news if it is what they want to hear and believe in whatever the politicians they like say because they trust without verification. If the salesman knows and tells them what they want to hear, the sale is in the bag. It doesn't have to be true or accurate.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Papusan and TheDantee like this.
  6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Way back in the day I worked at BB and I don't recall sales people getting much vendor training on new products. There's a reason there's spec sheets next to each item in the stores.

In my line of work though the vendors tend to show up and present their products because there's tons of money on the line during refresh cycles or projects in the works. While it's nice to get one on one with vendors and score a free lunch out of the deal we've already done the research prior to their arrival. Sometimes there's a couple of things that come out during a presentation that we might not have come across or make more sense when it comes to capex spending.

Box stores aren't formally educated on the products they're selling. They rely more on their people to keep pace with things on their own. Even more niche geek stores like MicroCenter leave me laughing after dealing with their "experts". Some know just enough to get themselves into trouble. I was sad to see Fry's go away though because of all the options you could find to build from. It was the last of a radio shack like experience where you could get down to the component level in plenty of locations. Ahh, nostalgia!

TheDantee and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Its no better in the enterprise world either. One of my main clients replaces systems every 4 years not because its needed, but because they wouldnt know how to maintain non-profit status otherwise.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I was sad to see Fry's go under as well. Now my area is left with nothing but Best Buy. I don't hate Best Buy. They have a place, but as a general rule when it comes to PC components, they don't sell the enthusiast-grade products I want.