Chrome OS - What a disappointment

Discussion in 'Chrome OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I was kind of excited when I heard that there are Google based laptops that are cheap with very good battery life for cheap. I know they are low end laptops but they could be a good backup lapop to keep or for when you want to go out and about and don't want to carry your expensive laptop with you.

I haven't really looked into them until recently when I saw a Lenovo ChromeBook 3 on sale for only $200 USD so I grabbed one.

It has only 32GB of storage so I added a 512GB MicroSD Card and I was good to go.

My work is all done through online apps when I acess through a web browser so I installed FireFox which is what I use for work so it has all my passwords/bookmarks saved but darn! It's not the full fledged desktop Firefox version it's the mobile version which is horrible. The bookmarks cannot always be shown like in the desktop version so every time I need to go to a bookmark, I have to open up the bookmarks menu, then navigate to the folder where that bookmark is. It is just not ideal for work and as you know on a mobile version you cannot have the extensions that you would normally install on the desktop version.

There is no Microsoft Edge for Chrome OS/Android so that's another option gone. (at least not without going into developer mode which is a horrible idea don't try it, I ended up having my entire laptop wiped after a reboot).

I don't wanna use Google Chrome as I have that setup as my personal browser with my bookmarks and what not. I guess I can sign in with a Google Account and start from scratch but again, the extensions are not there.

All other apps are just the mobile versions so basically, a ChromeBook is nothig more than a huge Android tablet/phone with a keyboard. I just don't get the point of these devices really. Might as well buy a cheap Windows laptop and be done with it. I was hoping this would be a good alternative to not use Windows (no I will never touch Linux because it is not user friendly and requires an engineering degee in computers just to install a driver).

Your thoughts?

etern4l, downloads, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I prefer using androidx86 mostly due to level of control but the downside is certain apps don't work. I haven't tested everything as I'm just using it for time, weather, traffic and alarm clock widgets. That all being said I'm using a thin client and not a laptop so it's probably not an apt comparison...

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For a tech person who loves to tinker and customize their OS, moving to a chromebook is going to feel very restrictive. If you don't choose a chromebook with at least a 1080p IPS display and Core m or i3 it's going to be slow and lacking. The real joy in using a chromebook is going to be its fast startup, long battery life, easy updates that only require you to reboot, excellent security, and with full sync on - you can powerwash or sign into another chromebook (if it breaks or dies) and be right back to where you were at. There is still a lot of work to be done with android on ChromeOS. Most apps aren't setup to be used "full screen", and yes your just getting the "mobile" experience. I find If I can do it in the browser or PWA, I prefer it that way since I have access to cast anything or print from the browser. Also for a power user, get a chromebook that has linux support. you can download linux apps and one click install in a container that runs just like an app. Try linux firefox and see if that meets your needs.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Chrome gives you two options. You can add another "person" to the browser and that keeps all of your bookmarks, passwords, etc. totally separate from each "person" and that is what I do for work. This is done using your avatar icon to the right of the URL box. You can access the administrative functions of the Google account for each "person" using this method. My employer uses Google for Business and I use my own computer(s) for work. This works flawlessly for me and it is almost like having a separate login for Windows. On a Chromebook it would be the equivalent of having a separate Windows login.

The second option is to add another "account" which you do by clicking on the rectangular box when you are signed in and accessing your Gmail or your avatar next to the 9 dots for Google Apps that is located down in the browser window on a google.com page. When you do it this way it does not access bookmarks and passwords for the added "account" but does give access to Gmail, Google Drive, Calendar, etc. for each account that you add. Using the second approach does not give you access to the actual Google account administrative and configuration options. You have to use the first option for adding a "person" to do that.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Vasudev, electrosoft, Primes and 2 others like this.
  5. Drew1

Drew1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait you could put a micro sd card to your chromebook? Do you have that slot? My acer chromebook doesn't have any slot for this. Do you have those adapters or something?

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    It depends on the model. My cheap 200 USD Lenovo 3 Chromebook has a micro SD slot

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I know one thought, your tune on linux changed quickly ha ha ha!. And yes, Chrome OS is basically a chrome browser running everything as web apps. I want to try it, but I have not found a device I want to give it a whirl on besides an original chromebook pixel. At which point that's dead in the water. If that computer could run the newest version of C'OS I would get one.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Another gripe I have is, when I take my Chrometoy to the cafe as an alternative to work, I turn it on, I can't use the darn thing for 20 mins until it updates 20 apps then runs a Chrome OS update then reboots and since this is a low-end Chromebook, it takes forever and everything is super slow while you are updating so basically its a useless large mobile phone that's always wanting to update and no better than browsing on a phone

etern4l, kojack and Iperzampem0 like this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At least on my cheap android tablet I never have that problem. It's works great. You would be better off with a tab 's6 lite instead of the Chromebook.

10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Probably equal awful concept.

[​IMG]

Microsoft Windows 11 SE And Surface Laptop Aim To Steal Chromebook’s Lunch Money In Schools hothardware.com | Nov 10, 2021

I was surprised to learn this when I looked it up, but the first Chromebook actually came out a decade ago (just over a decade, actually). During that time, Chromebooks have made a significant dent in the education market, and even outsold Macs for the very first time last year. Microsoft has seen enough and is hoping to claim schoolyard dominance with its new Surface Laptop SE, powered by an also-new version of Windows 11, called Windows 11 SE.
    Will you jump on this?