Choosing the right GTX 980M for 8770w?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by TenGauge, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ShunHax.exe

ShunHax.exe Newbie

Reputations:
    So, check this out... 980m stock drivers, stock inf file installed fresh new drivers right off the US website... GPU idle temps are anywhere from 32C idle to 35C idle.... but under load the card throttles and hits temp limit at 83C..... and im using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut... so idk where im going wrong? This doesn't seem right...
    *EDIT* I also am running the Notebook fancontrol on 100% with an 8740M 17 blade fan..
    **EDIT** DOH gpu wasn't meeting the heatsink....seems as if the springs are worn out
    ***EDIT*** Figured it out.... I never swaped in the K4000m X bracket.... it still had the old bracket on it.... Chilling at a cool 34 idle and 63 playing far cry 5 on high 1080p

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't believe the 980m is worth it cost wise, especially with the old CPU that our laptops have as it will likely bottleneck a bit. The 970m is a good deal cheaper and I think that would be the way to go if you want to "max out" your laptop. I HAD the 970m in my 8740w but had compatability issues with it so had to exchange the seller for a 780m that I expect to perform almost as well and even that would be a hell of an upgrade. Total cost for that card for me is 250+8 shipping on eBay. Even includes thermal paste and pads for the memory. I did buy an extra GPU heatsink for $20 as well so I'd have one I can grind down for the new card and one I could use for the old card if ever needed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Newbie

Reputations:
    Appreciate the info! I was very on the fence last month, but holding off for now. I'm going to consider the 970m though if I get the urge to upgrade again soon. Sadly the 980m prices have gone up more since my last post (resellers on ebay and elsewhere), looks like they are around $550 now - getting a bit stupid considering I've seen 6gb 1060m's for less before (won't work in the 8770w obviously, but point still stands...)