Choosing the right GTX 980M for 8770w?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by TenGauge, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That card will work perfect that's the same one I'm using. Modding the infs is super freaking easy. I'll try and find a post on it with step by step instructions.

You can upgrade to dreamcolor or Full HD easily, plug and play. 4K not so much. DC requires more than a panel however, you also need a color card and the whole setup can be expensive. I ended up having to pay $700 for a complete DC setup. I have a full hd screen with webcam in full top case assembly for sale cheap if interested.

2. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. saregama25

saregama25 Newbie

Reputations:
    okay, I read through it. I feel like with that and with the aid of some youtube videos I will be able to accomplish it. About the monitor, email me at johnayala32@outlook.com.

question, If I get the 980m working in this 8770w, can I run a 4k screen tv at 60fps through the display port? (movies of course not gaming)

4. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep you can do that. I use mine docked about 98% of the time through a 4k monitor. Works perfect.

5. saregama25

saregama25 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi, I found the metal solution you were referring to here. I'm not sure what you mean to provide insulation though? did you have to do some physical modifications after swapping the gpu? also, mine currently has a NVidia quadro 3000m, so will I need to by an xbracket still? I feel like all I need is the gtx 980m, this liquid solution, and to transfer the xbracket from the quadro onto the gtx 980m. I am going to use the notebook fan control program combined with an external fan that draws the air out very well. I will be installing a 1080p screen I got from ebay. If this works I will install the 980m and from there itll just be the file modifications to get the drivers to work.

6. i-Diot

i-Diot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No mods needed.
    Transfer the X-Bracket from the old Quadro to GTX 980M.
    Apply Liquid Pro carefully on both CPU/GPU and the Heatsink as well.
    Use electric insulation tape to cover resistors
    [​IMG]

External fan not needed!
    If laptop is DC2 (Dream RGB...) possibly wont work properly. Check my past posts for info what I stumbled upon.

7. i-Diot

i-Diot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. bassman5066

bassman5066 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does Notebook FanControl work for the 8740w? HWInfo is cool to keep me from overheating but I cannot get the auto function to work and I'd rather not run on full blast all the time.

I was going to go with Liquid Metal in my 8740w but decided against it as it will eat into the copper heatsink compound and I don't want to have to pull my laptop apart once a year or more often to reapply the TIM and/or replace the heat sink because the copper is pitted. With i7 920xm and GTX 970m I am seeing around 70C full load on the GPU and 70-85 on the CPU and that is using MX4 paste on both chips.

As far as the correct card, I can vouch for this seller as that's where I got my card and he is very responsive when it comes to questions about drivers and compatibility. He even sent me a driver mod guide including required .inf files.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/dsyzyl/m.html?item=302645303211&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

9. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm looking for some brutally honest feedback from any of you who may have done a 980m upgrade or similar on a 8770w.

First and foremost, is it worth it?

Obviously there is the cost of the card ($400-450 shipped) and let's assume $40 for some new conductonaut / kryonaut and a set of thermal pads. So lets figure $450+ for the cost, is it worthwhile for the performance of a 980m? Obviously, a 980m is an excellent mobile card, but there are some 15"/17" laptops to be had with a 1060 (3gb variant) for just over $1000, or clevo rebranded 1070 laptops for $1300+ (like microcenter's "powerspec" 17).

Here is the other consideration on my part - my 8770w has a K5000m, its perfectly capable of playing anything that is a few years old. I just can't run any of the latest games at more than minimum spec (if they are playable at all. With all this in mind, does the performance justify the cost at this point, or should I just save up / wait for a 1060/1070 laptop?

Does the upgrade to a 980m degrade any of the existing functions of the laptop (even subjectively?) - I have read a lot of posts across several sites and can't get a good sense of this. Some people seem to have endless problems after upgrading to GPU that isn't on HP's whitelist. I just cannot tell if that is to be expected or if those issues are just caused by inexperienced users attempting the upgrade. Among the problems, I have read that 980m install can cause loss of brightness control, problems with display/video out, no video on startup (does this mean no BIOS/UEFI access?), among other problems.

So, TL;DR - if you are a 8770w owner, was the upgrade worth it? Will this upgrade potentially cause a bunch of problems (see above)? Would I have better compatibility with another workstation card, like the M5000M?

10. ShunHax.exe

ShunHax.exe Newbie

Reputations:
    What about what thermal pads to get sizes and such? I can't seem to get a straight forward answer anywhere...