Choosing the right GTX 980M for 8770w?

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by TenGauge, Sep 8, 2017.

1. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am on the hunt for a GTX 980 for my 8770w laptop. I am currently looking at all of the options that are available on eBay and they seem to be pulled from a wide array of host machines. Is there one brand that's easier to work with in the 8770 than another, any to completely steer clear of because they won't work at all? I'm a novice when it comes to upgrading notebook hardware, this is actually my first notebook that has an easily user swappable CPU and GPU. I am currently looking at pulls from MSI machines, can anyone tell me if this is a decent card to get working with these notebooks, if not, can someone make a suggestion?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate all the help I can get.

2. Rideass

Rideass Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought a Clevo 980M for my 8760W that worked perfectly as long as no overclock was applied. Running the 980M maxed out WILL cause throttling as the cooling solution in the 87x0w is simply not enough.
    Some people report problems with black screen in Windows with certain other vBIOS versions. This can be circumvented by starting the laptop in UEFI mode instead as more of the HP firmware takes over the vBIOS functions it seems.

You will need to have a modified .inf to install the drivers, I am sure you are aware. This can be easily found from https://laptopvideo2go.com/

From my experience with both the 8760w and several 8770w machines are that they are very forgiving in using whatever GPU fits in there physically will boot. Tried a Dell Quadro K5100M that worked flawlessly. Seen several people run most other GeForce MXM3.0 based cards in them as well.

3. TenGauge

TenGauge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's awesome, thank you @Rideass! I purchased an MSI card off of eBay, scored it for $330, on Monday and it comes in today. Not sure if I'll have the time tonight to get it in, but I'm just hoping it's not a g-sync card (current owner doesn't seem to think it is). Looking forward to having some better framerates than my K4000m provides. I don't really game, I only play one game very occasionally (World of Warships) but having a 4K monitor my current K4000m will only play it at low settings for a reasonable frame rate. Thinking the 980m should stomp that little game in to the ground even at 4K res.