Cheapest notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SunnyChrono6, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnyChrono6

SunnyChrono6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How much would the cheapest notebooks that are any good for their price cost??No need for discrete graphics,IGPs are good enough,with acceptable processor/ram configurations(anything better than a Core 2 Duo,really)

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Depends on your needs and budget. We have a sticky for a reason, you know ;)

3. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Check eBay often. Two weeks ago I bought my Gateway NX860X laptop for $90 shipped. Look at its amazing specs:

17.0" 1920x1200
    500GB hard drive
    1.66GHz Core2 Duo T5500
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce Go 7600
    Wireless abg, Bluetooth, Ethernet
    DVD/CDRW comdo
    Media card reader

I took a small risk though because the resolution wasn't mentioned and the seller stated that the wireless card and touchpad were defective. Fortunately, I managed to fix both, in about an hour, and the WUXGA resolution was a pleasant surprise.

4. JonCordova

JonCordova Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    eBay's a great option. I got my parent's 18.4-inch desktop-repacement for $550 from an eBay seller.

Because prices shift a lot for new computers, it's easier to tell you the things to avoid. DO NOT buy the $199 or $299 Gateway laptop at Walmart. Why? It has a Netbook processor so slow it can barely run Windows.

Generally, once you get up to $399, the laptops become okay, but make sure you're buying at least an AMD A- series processor--A4, A6, or A8, or an Intel Core i3-xxx or Core i3-xxxx[three digits in the serial number indicates chips that are two generations old. Four-digit Intel Core chips with numbers in the 2000s are from last year, and the 3000 are from this year.]

AMD A-series are a good value because their graphics are better than older Intels.
    Avoid like the plague: Intel Atom, AMD C-50, C-60, E-350, E-450. They're functional, but not cheap enough to justify their performance hit.
    Intel Pentium B950 from last year was also a decent processor, really a de-tuned modern Core i3, but there are some "Celerons" floating around that are just de-tune B950s, so I'd avoid the Celerons too.

Above that, any perk you can find in specs for $399 or $499 is a plus: 1600x900 resolution in the cheapest Acer 17-inch, that sort of thing.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Second the AMD A-series APU laptops. Good computer for cheap; though the decent A6-series laptops will be $400-$450.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can buy a brand new Acer 15.6" notebook at Walmart for 296 here. You cannot go wrong with that.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

7. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It really depends on what one needs. For grandpas and grandmas who use their laptops just to check email and read the news, I say anything more powerful than 2GHz Pentium M and with at least 1GB of RAM suffices. Even for more demanding productivity applications, Core2 Duo and 2GB RAM would be plenty good. An often-asked question is, "Why spend $80 to $150 on a 4-year-old laptop when a brand-new one can be had for as little as $250?" Well, first of all, for some people, even a difference of $100 to $170 is a big deal. But more importantly, a $250 brand-new machine is guaranteed to have the lousiest screen and lowest resolution, whereas if you shop carefully, you can get a $90 used laptop with a nice 1920x1200 screen, like my Gateway NX860X mentioned above. Also, a $250-to-$400 brand-new "craptop" is probably not going to last as long as a $120 used T60 Thinkpad or a $150 used Panasonic Toughbook CF-Y5. In other words, the processor and RAM and hard drive shouldn't be the only considerations when shopping for a laptop. If you want to buy a new laptop whose screen matches my $90 Gateway, or if you want a new laptop with build quality matching the T60 or CF-Y5, you would need to raise your budget to at least $600.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.