cheap gaming notebook

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by otaku, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku

otaku Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I need something I can play the following on (perhaps a desktop recommendation instead?)

dragon age origins and its expansion
    D&D online
    Warhammer online
    various other mmo titles
    star craft 2

And future titles?

I'd like the machine to handle these with mid range to high settings without trouble. And the cheaper the better thanks

2. seanjuro

seanjuro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    whats your range for price if you take a factory refurbed one samsung has a laptop at best buy with a 330m 1gb ( think it might be 512mb) and it also has an i5 (non sandy bridge) buts its only $550 for $1200 theres the samsung rc512 i7 sandy bridge and a brand new geforce gt 525m with 1bg dedicated and it runs bad company 2 on high settings also has a blu ray player and 6gb of ram 750gb hdd or the asus g73jh it has an i7 non sandy bridge and an ati 5870 which is one of the best mobile graphics cards on the market never overheats BUT its huge its a desktop replacement

3. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Any desktop with a dedicated card that costs > $80 can handle those games no problem. Spend another $50 and you'll have a machine that can beat or equal any gaming laptop below a Sager / Alienware class machine.

The lowest level gfx card in a laptop I'd pay money for is the GT 330M or the ATI 5650M. Anything below those and you might as well wait for SB IGP to come along and beat / equal it and use less power while doing it.

For the 5650, you can find the Toshiba L665 and L665D. The D has an AMD CPU and costs $699 on newegg while the nonD has an intel i5 480 and costs $799. The Acer Aspire TimelineX 4820TG has an i5 480M and an ATI 6550 (5% faster than 5650) for $799. It has switchable gfx so you can run for longer on the internal GFX card rather than the discrete ATI. HP Pavilion dv6 can come with switchable gfx, at a cost of $799.

Other than SC2 you won't likely need this much horsepower and can get away with a much less expensive machine. But as you didn't really define cheap, I took it to mean < $1000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.