"Cheap" 2TB SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TheReciever, Feb 7, 2019.

1. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Upgrade video cause I don't want to get it wrong.
    As example if the back is just pulled up with that laptop, bits of plastic get broken. Just want to be very sure I remove the right screws, all the right screws, and ONLY the right screws.

The laptop is already looking somewhat damaged because daughter let her mums boyfriend at it. He or some clueless mate tried to lever it off without removing a screw under a label. Then left daughter for weeks with the claim it needed a new motherboard.
    Grr. Had to buy a cheap extra house laptop just so he will leave hers alone. Old Sony so it should be durable...least as long as it ain't used as ammunition.

Anyway this will be my second 2tb + win 10 install. A lenovo Y70-50 with 4k 15 inch screen, which is a lot more fragile than the original version Zbook 17 tank I bought and upgraded for her last week. Still I have to admit that her choice of laptop weighs in at about half of what I got her.

Why would I partition the SSD? Standard practice is to let the win 10 install do its thing. I would rather not do anything non-standard without enough benefit to justify additional brain straining.
    Rufus looks interesting but I still have my backup portable HD set with win 10 install from last week. It seemed to be all I needed so I will go with what works.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    These days laptops are optimised for kids who skip food and can't even carry proper laptop along with books. That's why macbook airs were invented as ultra-portable. My sis can't even carry my current laptop and often term it as a rock and even my classmates say it can be used as a working out when someone skips Gym.

tilleroftheearth, jclausius and Aroc like this.
  3. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Arrrgggg.

SSD instalation went well. Was looking at perhaps wrong video yesterday. Right video easy peasy.
    SDD looks to be perfect.
    Windows 10 loaded without a hitch.

That was the good new. Now for the bad.

Somebody treated the back cover horribly. Bent metal & cracked plastic. 2 screws no longer function.
    The internet connection is showing barely connecting. No bars where my Dell with its notoriously poor reception shows full bars. Suspect aerial connection malfunction.
    The Screen has lost a small strip across the bottom. Checking video driver but not much belief here. Some hope that connections to the lid are loose.

Update 1: Started downloading drivers but not much happened. Took laptop into room with internet box. Video card utility arrived and screen suddenly works properly. Can now downgrade 4k screen to 1080p with a sigh of relief. Still suspect an aerial fault, but that is a plausible repair. Not planing to reopen the box till all hope of fix by driver update is gone.

Update 2: Still no idea whats with the internet range. Downloaded Calibre fast from non-internet room but no other internet signals spotted & no bars. Going to start a separate thread asking for help. Daughter in no rush to get laptop back so will ask questions first, tare laptop apart looking for perhaps non-fault a distant second.

Update 3: Quick look inside but cables seem to be attached. Going to plan B: Get drunk (1 can, I am a cheep drunk), eat, read a book, sleep n hope for divine inspiration tomorrow..

Update 4. Searched the net. It's the £$£$% modem. Not broken just too outdated to handle the internet box properly. Ordered a new one that isn't meant to work in a lenovo but I think should. Sigh. One more week before I find out what sort of idiot I am. And if that don't work perhaps a month to get an inferior but official part from china.

Anybody still wondering why I do these things in the morning when I am least likely to panic?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Vasudev

Yep me n daughter have very different tastes in laptops. She wants thin 15 inch games machines. I vote for solid business machines with slow processors, nothing much of a video card and a 17 inch 1080p high contrast touch screen. Solid, quiet, dependable keyboard & won't cook my knees. The Zbook was a compromise. Solidity of a top end business machine with the power of a games machine bar the outdated video card.

You should have heard her scream when I sent her off to uni with a rather weighty Sony i7 way back when. Not the most delicate of laptops. 4 years later the guts still worked but the hinges failed. I know that college students can tell the difference between a laptop and a football but it didn't add to the proof.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While off topic I too used to be a lover of laptops as DTR's. Now since stuck in the lounge chair I like the 1080P 14:". While I would have loved a 2.5" SATA the M.2 is fine for the device. I was thing about a 2TB 660P but the included 256GB for now is fine.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tanware

Golden rule - If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    If the 256GB is big enough then sit back n enjoy.
    Day comes you are out of room the prices will have dropped and you can snigger bout what we paid now.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First time owning a pure gaming laptop, I nearly cooked my eggs and my population extender production engine went offline for few days! :D I hope my factory works in the long run w/o needing any cybernetic parts to jumpstart the creation of a beautiful & amazing products.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  8. TANWare

Reputations:
    The main reason to upgrade is the stock drive is M.2 SATA and not nVme. While the system is pretty snappy as is a faster drive would be nice. The reason for a 2 TB drive is since it is the only bay, why not go big.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Honestly not convinced that a faster drive always saves time. There is the time spent figuring out what to buy, then installation, then the additional work to pay for it.
    But there is this. Hard disks crap out all too often. My daughter wasted weeks before getting me in to sort out problems. Now that is a slowdown that counts.

In short it really isn't about the seconds saved but the hours and days lost that you should plan for..

My two laptops are still HD powered and likely to remain so. But then I am old enough not to care. Also wise enough to back up and have a spare laptop even if that means nether is state of the art.

10. TANWare

Reputations:
    The reason for SSD's in a computer primarily is the instantaneous response they tend to provide. The large drives offer better longevity of the NAND, usually more speed, more space making it easier to maintain etc..

For consumers this speed increase and lowered response time is the drive behind better interfaces. Now inn the days where only one or so slow ad appeared on a web page a slower SATA drive was fine. Now it is almost a necessity for a Gigabit connection and a raided nVme of huge capacity.

Agreed that it usually is more a luxury than need, I like my luxuries!

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.