"Cheap" 2TB SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TheReciever, Feb 7, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Just got mine in the mail, on my lunch hour though but will probably install tonight.

2. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Did you need the msata specifically?

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    mSATA is what my Ranger is equipped with.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Never buy 850/860 evo M.2 garbage w/o firmware updates. I have a 850 evo that still has unbootable media firmware issue which was fixed in normal 2.5" 850 evo but m.2 wasn't upgraded to fix it. For M.2 Mx500/WD Blue/Seagate have FW updates regardless of form factor.

5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You can't flash that with Magician?

My son has the 860 EVO from 2 yrs back (although it is the 2.5" form factor), we flashed the BIOS to update it w/ out issues using Magician. Won't that work on M.2 drives too? For example, I was able to flash my 970 Pro NVMe drives using magician under my Win 10 boot as well.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Huh?

Um. The 2TB 850 evo is in the post so one way or t'other I gota get it to boot.

2.5 inch version so I can hope.
    If no boot then will leave in the laptop and fit windows on a portable USB drive, then run Samsung Magician from it.
    What I dare not do is update a bios to a drive hanging on a USB cable. The slightest jerk n the connection would be lost n the drive perhaps bricked.
    That should be a fun activity. Not. So hoping if there ever was a problem the original owner updated it.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I tried that to no avail. M.2 850 or 860 EVO don't have FW updates and if you've got problems then you're on your own. Actually 850 EVO 2.5" has 2 versions which Samsung silently updated, first release was 48bit 3D TLC layer and now they switched to 64/96 layers on items sold after 2017 which kills the competition because of optimisation. This was confirmed by a member at win-raid and I asked if there's any way for m.2 FW patching he said these models can't even downgrade/upgrade FW.

8. BlameTheEx

BlameTheEx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep. 2 versions of the 850 at least. Maybe 3
    Non too worried bout that though. They both review as decent.

My SSD has now arrived dated 2015 and perhaps the V2. Not sure but I suppose a V1 is possible.

Not touching it tonight. I am a firm believer in doing anything that might cause panic to the morning and after coffee.
    Then I am determined to do things very very slowly n with the upgrade video repeated for every step.

jclausius and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Meh, my 2TB SSD was in 5 minutes after getting home.

10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Upgrade video? What? Uhm, why? :)

Download a current Win10x64 iso image directly from MS using the Create Windows 10 installation media tool. Download Rufus.

Use an 8GB USB drive or larger to have Rufus create a UEFI installer of the ISO you downloaded.

Remove the drive you now have. Install the new SSD. Insert the USB drive and boot from it.

Make sure you choose Advanced Install and partition the new SSD to 67% of the actual capacity it shows as available. Now, you're OP'ing with power!

Install Windows with the Ethernet cable connected (if possible on your system).

Let it finish setting up all its updates before installing any additional programs and customizations.

Enjoy! ;)

Checking the list above... yeah; no video necessary. :D

jclausius and Vasudev like this.