Charger Randomly Disconnects during high load - GT70

Discussion in 'MSI' started by RequiemEternal, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It seems fine, and the voltage readout is normal for GPU. Have you updated BIOS & EC to the latest version yet?

Vasudev and Phoenix like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Problem most likely is bad solder joints on the AC jack on the laptop. This was a rather common issue on some of these models. It could also be an issue with the PSU itself, but the only way to find out is to buy or borrow another PSU and test that. If the problem still happens, then unless you're somehow doing something weird that exceeds max AC power levels, it could be the port itself. You may have to consider a repair RMA. Considering some of the horror stories with people getting equipment back even worse than they sent out, if it's out of warranty, you could see if an electronics shop can possibly test and resolder for you, but then they would have to completely disassemble it, and then know how to put it back together.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. RequiemEternal

RequiemEternal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I forgot the mention, but this GT70 was the model with the 675m, which was apparently a problematic card. When it broke down, I replaced it with the 970m with great help from this thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-official-msi-gt60-70-970m-980m-upgrade-thread.765058/

So currently, my BIOS & EC are flashed to the version mentioned in that thread. As of now, I seem to have no other options but to buy a new PSU. If that fails, maybe it's time to invest in a new laptop. Repairs here cost way too much and probably won't be worth it anymore since this laptop is starting to break down slowly anyway. I'll try to update once I get my hands on a different PSU.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Since it's so outdated, I'd just go with a new one instead of going with repair. But as you said, you can attempt a swap of AC adapter and see what happens next.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. RequiemEternal

RequiemEternal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I finally went to some repair shop and was able to test using a different AC adapter. It appears that the other chargers were even worse and would immediately disconnect upon heavy load. They tried opening the laptop and did some maintenance - cleaning and applying new thermal paste. They said the jack and the connections were fine and said that it could be the GPU causing problems. I guess at this point I'm already convinced that I should just buy a new one then.