Changing The ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS-Db71 to a 15.6" 120hz panel.

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by NTsoulS, Apr 28, 2017.

1. chromes

chromes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hrm, maybe disabling the write-protect would be more feasible to allow using the normal utilities.

Looks like on some models you can physically disable write-protect by cutting a pin.

https://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/hardware-mod/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/writeup-pdf.135844/

If the write protection can be disabled I think the easiest way to get gsync +120 to work would be to probably

1)Dump original panel edid
    2)Disable WP on new panel, and replace orginal
    3)Dump new panel edid for backup purposes
    4)Write orginal edid onto new panel
    5)"Overclock" new panel to 120hz via the nvidia control panel.

2. Roddydesu

Roddydesu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've read and tried all of those sites but it doesn't work since this is different from the desktop, LVDS or 40pin eDP panels. I've tested all of those relatively easier methods and finally resorted to this method. There's a chance that I might've missed something or did something wrong so it would be great if you tested those methods too :vbthumbsup:

3. chromes

chromes Newbie

Reputations:
    My laptop should be arriving this week, need to see if its effected by this discharge issue I have read about then I'll consider getting the panel off ebay.

The pdf linked is about replacing writing the eprom on a laptop panel so I think the adrino method would work just as well with this panel. I'd be interested to see if it has the secondary chip protection as clipping a pin is by far the easiest solution to write protection.

4. Reptilianboy

Reptilianboy Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed a B156HAN04.2 (same screen as the ROG Zephyrus GX501) panel in my GL502VS-DB71. It boots into a black screen if I install any Nvidia driver after 378.92. 120hz works, but brightness control doesn't. I'm fine with the loss of brightness control, but I really want to be able to update my drivers. Any ideas on how to solve this?

5. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm having the same issue as you, only in the Triton 700. Were you able to fix it? I'm thinking of finding someone with a Zephyrus that can provide their EDID because my panel has almost no info when I look in HWInfo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    Please try whatever method you think will work and tell us if it does. I never even got to reading the EEPROM, probably because my makeshift 30pin eDP cable that was too janky as it was modded from a 40pin literally by cutting it.

7. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    Uninstall all drivers and and use Windows update to find and install driver, then install your downloaded drivers. If you're saying that any drivers over 378.92 does not work, I can't help because I probably haven't tried it yet, but please don't give up or stop trying things out, this project needs the collective experiences everybody has :vbthumbsup:

8. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    The problem I'm stuck on now is getting into the EEPROM without breaking the panel, and if you have any experience with that, please share here. I've been busy so I haven't had the chance to try flashing the panel again, but I got the basic idea of how to mod EDIDs. I also have the EDID of my LG panel and the genuine AUO panel from my friend's GL502VS, so if you need either of that I can post it here

9. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    Sorry for not updating this project. The only times I can work on this is when I'm back home in Hong Kong during breaks, the rest of the time I'm in Canada continuing my grade 11 studies and it's tough. Please don't stop trying to figure this out and post whatever experiences you have. If you have any questions I will try my best to answer with whatever little knowledge I have about this topic. Thanks everybody ;)

10. Reptilianboy

Reptilianboy Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, Windows automatically installs a 38x.xx driver, so it causes the screen to go black.

I don't really have a lot of knowledge on these things, but could you use an INF driver to override the EDID through software? If you post the EDIDs I could try some things myself.