Changing The ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS-Db71 to a 15.6" 120hz panel.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by NTsoulS, Apr 28, 2017.

1. chromes

chromes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hrm, maybe disabling the write-protect would be more feasible to allow using the normal utilities.

Looks like on some models you can physically disable write-protect by cutting a pin.

https://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/hardware-mod/
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/writeup-pdf.135844/

If the write protection can be disabled I think the easiest way to get gsync +120 to work would be to probably

1)Dump original panel edid
    2)Disable WP on new panel, and replace orginal
    3)Dump new panel edid for backup purposes
    4)Write orginal edid onto new panel
    5)"Overclock" new panel to 120hz via the nvidia control panel.

2. Roddydesu

Roddydesu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've read and tried all of those sites but it doesn't work since this is different from the desktop, LVDS or 40pin eDP panels. I've tested all of those relatively easier methods and finally resorted to this method. There's a chance that I might've missed something or did something wrong so it would be great if you tested those methods too :vbthumbsup:

3. chromes

chromes Newbie

Reputations:
    My laptop should be arriving this week, need to see if its effected by this discharge issue I have read about then I'll consider getting the panel off ebay.

The pdf linked is about replacing writing the eprom on a laptop panel so I think the adrino method would work just as well with this panel. I'd be interested to see if it has the secondary chip protection as clipping a pin is by far the easiest solution to write protection.