Changing The ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS-Db71 to a 15.6" 120hz panel.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by NTsoulS, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Roddydesu

Roddydesu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh it's definitely 120hz. I'm waiting for my RT809F programmer to try and flash the EDID enough so the laptop recognizes it as the original panel, only with an "overclock" to hopefully enable G-Sync.

As for how to remove the panel you simply have to pry the inner edges and outer edges a little bit to undo the clips. For the top edge, when all the clips are removed, push the bezel down so to unhook the top part. There are two stickers at the two bottom corners of the bezel, remove to reveal the two screws. For the bottom edge of the bezel, carefully separate the bezel from the panel since the adhesive might tear off the actual adhesive on the panel itself. Good luck :)

2. Denn1s

Denn1s Newbie

Reputations:
    What if you deactivate V-Sync / G-Sync? I might be wrong with my thinking but with 120Hz the tearing effect should be weaker as on a 60Hz display.

Oh thank you for the advice. So it is like the older Thinkpads. I some videos on YouTube from other Asus Laptops they had to remove screws before removing the bezel :)

I hope you are successful with your EDID flash. Please keep us up to date :)

3. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    Since I like playing heavy titles at really high settings, the VS usually reaches around 90fps and without any sync the stuttering kicks in, but even if I can't get G-Sync to work, seeing everything else e.g. browser scrolling at 120fps is just absolutely worth it :D

4. Denn1s

Denn1s Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I saw different Display up to 144hz in local stores... Really smooth feeling. The VS is my first device with G-Sync. I know the benefits of G-Sync but I can't say that the missing sync of former days has ever been a showstopper to me. In fast games like shooter or racing games there was a cut from time to time. But only for ~16ms. On a 120hz panel, it would last for ~8ms. I think I could live with that. The problem is that this is all just my theory :D.

BTW sorry for my english I am not a native speaker

5. Denn1s

Denn1s Newbie

Reputations:
    Additional Info:
    I "overclocked" my Display to 67Hz (just to try). G-Sync doesn't work with this setting.

6. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    Which display? The stock one?

7. Denn1s

Denn1s Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes the 60hz stock panel.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

8. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    That's weird, I just tried 67hz on the stock panel since you said so and it worked just fine with G-Sync for me

9. Denn1s

Denn1s Newbie

Reputations:
    I dont get it anyway... In Nvidia Control Center I set G-Sync for fullscreen and window... Now what about the ingame Option of V-Sync? Activate for G-Sync or deactivate because we dont exactly want to use V-Sync... In Rocket League, I can set what I want it shows always about 180fps and it feels stuttery... The only way is the ingame framelimiter. So maybe I Do something wrong in general

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  10. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    Use Fast Sync along with G-Sync and ignore the ingame caps