Changing The ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS-Db71 to a 15.6" 120hz panel.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by NTsoulS, Apr 28, 2017.

1. NTsoulS

NTsoulS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So for the sake of the dozens of others who may google and look for solutions to this, this is for you.

I currently own the ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS-Db71,

(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234297)

, Which has a skylake i7 in my case, and a 1070. It also has a g sync panel, but it's only 60hz. A 1070 paired with a 60hz 1080p panel seems pointless because the laptop 1070 is a boss. So i've searched for a way to rectify this. Alas I have found the solution;
    The ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS-Ds71. Notice the S in between D and 71. This model is the updated variant with a kabylake CPU. But also a 120hz g sync 1080p panel. SO naturally I curiously wonder if I could replace my current panel with this panel and have it go smoothly. With G sync working properly, brightness working right and getting that 120hz butter. So after researching I found the model number of the panel in it.

The AU OPTRONICS B156HAN04.3 .

You can find this on eBay currently for about 55$ more or less. I've found before somebody using a different panel on/in their laptop, but unable to get brightness control to work properly or g sync to work right. But since this is the same panel Asus uses in their newer line, I feel it may work better.

I can't yet report what will happen but am posting this in preparation. And will update with the results.

UPDATE: DONT WORK lol

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Newbie

Reputations:
    Any updates?

3. NTsoulS

Reputations:
    Yes. It didn't work. lol. Just buy an external monitor.
    I duno why it didn't work. Sorry

4. Roddydesu

Roddydesu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What do you mean by it doesn't work?
    I did the same thing and the only thing that doesn't work so far is G-Sync, other than that, everything else like 120hz and brightness works

5. NTsoulS

Reputations:
    What screen model number and what did you do to get 120hz to show up in nvidia settings?

6. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    The model number is B156HAN04.3, the one from the GL502VS DS71
    If the panel is really capable of 120hz the timings should be in the EDID and will show up right away. Check the pixel clock of the panel to see if it can do 120hz in the first place

7. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    I read above and saw that you used the right panel, so here's what I did.
    If you just plug it in with the current drivers, you'll probably get it to light up while posting, then when it boots it'll be a black screen. Use DDU to uninstall all drivers, then the screen will be usable. Go to Windows Updates and let it look for the stock driver of the 1070, reboot and your panel will work with Nvidia drivers. After that you can update your drivers however you want.
    I'm at the point where everything but G-Sync works, and I'm trying various ways to get it to. Get yours to this point so we can get G-Sync to work too. Good luck:)

8. NTsoulS

Reputations:

Mmmm mmmm mmmm so. That's awesome.
    I sent mine back. So Ill have to rebuy it and do it again. But 1080p plus a 1070 usually means 120fps. So g sync wouldn't be needed. Plus no g sync means better battery life.

Does Optimus work now that g sync is disabled?

9. Roddydesu

Reputations:
    G-Sync itself doesn't have any impact on battery life. It's the nature of the connection itself. Optimus is connected through the iGPU, where G-Sync is connected straight to the GPU and the GPU only through eDP. They are not compatible.
    Also without G-Sync and only V-Sync anything under 120fps will be pointless since whenever it drops below the highest refresh rate the refresh rate will be halved meaning anything under 120 will be 60 and anything under 60 will be 30. Without V-Sync it'll just stutter. Definitely would want to get G-Sync to work.

10. Denn1s

Denn1s Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I am planning to do the same upgrade. I have the Skylake-Generation of the GL502VS. For some strange reason I have a tiny hair in my screen. That accelerated my wish :) I am certified on different Businessbrand Notebooks. But I have noch idea how to remove the panel of this device. Maybe someone can give a short advice.

@Roddydesu, do you have any updates on your G-Sync problem? Did you fix it? Can you also "feel/see" that the 120Hz are working? G-Sync would be very important. Run games @60FPS with this notebook is not the problem. But 120FPS is heavy.

I already "modded" my Laptop to kill the discharge issue, so I have a very constant performance compared to the stock state. Would be really nice to enjoy the full power and the smoothness of 120Hz instead of the 60Hz cut.