Changing cpu alienware m15x help

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by akiratang, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akiratang

akiratang Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My alienware m15x currently has a intel i5 430m cpu and was looking to upgrade it to a i7 920xm cpu.

Im just wondering has anyone done this before or something similar and would it be compatible with my laptop. Also would be helpful if somebody has a aw m15x laptop and has changed the cpu in it before and would like some tips on changing my cpu as i have never done it before.

Bascially will it be compatible with my laptop and how do i change my cpu. thanks

2. Wattos

Wattos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, it will work. Has been done by many users on the forum. Just keep in mind that you will most likely have to swap the CPU back in in case you require some warranty replacements.

3. maxilick

maxilick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Changed my 720 to a 920 with no trouble, in my case the money was money well spent, crunches through numbers in DBIS with ease. Purchased from ebay seller shirleyfu1117 advertised price is US$380.00, however if you cry poverty he will lower the price. HE sells es version which is no different to retail version.
    There appears to be differences in opinion in which thermal grease to use, I used arctic silver ceramique with stable results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.