Challenge: Most reliable Laptop that isnt a Thinkpad.

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by plums, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. const451

const451 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. linh

linh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is that a research survey statistics or a random poll statistics?

3. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Those pc world tables are pretty worthless. Not that I think lenovo are a gold standard, but if thinkpads were not around I'd probably look into the HP elitebook line (even though I dislike the keyboards), Dell latitude for the cost of refurb units, or panasonic toughbooks if I had no budget constraint at all and could find a laptop that fit my needs.

4. const451

const451 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Reliability Measures

• Problems on arrival (all devices):Based on the percentage of survey respondents who reported one or more problems with the device out of the box.

• Any hardware or software problem (all devices): Based on the percentage of survey respondents who reported any problem at all during the product's lifetime.

• Satisfaction with reliability (all devices):Based on the owner's overall satisfaction with the reliability of the device.

• Failed component (laptops and desktop PCs):Based on the percentage of survey respondents who reported replacing one or more original components because they had failed.

• Core component problem (laptops and desktop PCs):Based on the percentage of survey respondents who reported problems with the processor, motherboard, power supply, hard drive, system memory, or graphics board/chip at any time during the life of their laptop or desktop PC.

• Severe problems (printers, cameras, routers, and MP3 players): Based on the percentage of survey respondents who reported a problem that rendered their device impossible to use.

• Ease of use (printers, cameras, routers, and MP3 players):Based on the percentage of survey respondents who rated their device as extremely or very easy to use.

Service Measures

• Phone hold time: Based on the average time a product's owners waited on hold to speak to a phone support rep.

• Phone rating: Based on a cumulative score derived from product owners' ratings of several aspects of their experience in phoning the company's technical support service. Among the factors considered were whether the information was easy to understand, and whether the support rep spoke clearly and knowledgeably.

• Failure to resolve problem: Based on the percentage of survey respondents who said the problem was never resolved after contacting the company's support service.

• Service experience: Based on a cumulative score derived from product owners' responses to a series of questions that focused on 11 specific aspects of their experience with the company's service department.

Survey Methodology

We polled roughly 44,000 PCWorld.com readers who responded to print advertisements and e-mail messages. We used methods of statistical analysis to determine which companies were significantly better or worse than the average, based on all responses about a certain product type. Because our survey sample consists entirely of generally tech-savvy readers, it may not be representative of the general population, which may have different expectations and experiences with technology products.

5. jaredy

jaredy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It gives you a nice estimate of what other people feel, but it is hardly any clear data.

6. Awdiyo

Awdiyo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Exactly, Jaredy.

A quick read on, say, MacRumours, will give you an idea why Apple scores so high:
    Loads of people having to fiddle with voltages to the cpu and smcfan control in order to not have their MBA have core shutdowns, yet they think that their MBA is great quality.

Loads of people have cracking palm rests, yet they think that Apple is awesome and that their MacBooks are great quality.

Crappy firewire chipsets on the MBPs, yet they go "But that's okay, that's to be expected, it's still great quality".

Screen lines and having to swap one MBP and/or MB after another and finally getting a working one in the third, fourth or even fifth try. Yet they still go "The quality is amazing".

What really is amazing is that the quality really used to be good. Alas, that was five or more years ago. Apple's quality has dwindled to the point that for quite a few of us they have gone from being tools to being nonfunctional toys which break down more than they should.
    Unfortunately Apple won't do anything about it with the huge influx of switchers from the iPod Crowd. They just forget that those people will move on just as quickly as they came when the next shiny object catches their eyes.

7. pacmandelight

pacmandelight Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This survey was not random. I would not put much faith into these results.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Dell Vostro line. My 1500 may be a bit heavy, but the sucker is solid and has run without issue for the last two years I've owned it.

9. bsodder

bsodder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have to go with the Dell Vostro - it is plain, black, heavy, and built like a tank. And you could get 2 or 3 of them for the price of one MP Pro - I have to believe that would last longer - just get another one out of the closet...

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Mine has been lugged around for ~1.5 years and shows no wear, and yes it could be used as a weapon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.