CF30 Internal USB

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Knightofoldcode, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Try to reverse the data pin on USB port.

ohlip

2. Knightofoldcode

Knightofoldcode Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    k, so I pulled out a really badly beaten up CF30 mk3, and tried the breakout board. It functions on the mk3 with the same SSD harddrive from the mk2. So, Windows software is correct, USB Breakout board is correct.

Shawn was kind enough to send me the newest BIOS for the CF30-mk2 and, even though it was the same version I reflashed the bios anyway, just to make sure, no change.

Why it won't work on the Mk2 is beyond me. Probably something related to the fact that it wasn't a WWAN ready model. I don't know. At this point I have gave up.

I'll probably just look for a new mk3 at some point and use that for my dedicated amateur radio stuff.

Now... if you really want to hear something odd... I figured just for giggles I'd throw in the WWAN card/sled/cable that came with the beaten to hell mk3 I have, into the mk2. Works fine. o_O

Thank you everyone for your help!

Knight.

Shawn likes this.
  3. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    shawn ,
    my first thread in these forums was trying to get the gps , wwan , and some other stuff working on my first CF (a '30) ...
    that was quite a process but i bet it contains some pertinent information .

yeah , it is a fair amount of work (swapping a MB) but it might be faster than what might wind up being kicking a dead horse .

and strange things have happened ...
    in reference to data pins ... dig out the 'scope and see if the square waves really are .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Larry, Here is that first thread of yours.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/cf-30-woes.761089/

I was sure the problem was the fact the OP's is a non wwan ready model. We have seen that before. I was sure there is some flash to mod the BIOS. Maybe I am thinking of a early 31.

I find it really odd that his mk2 sees the wwan card but not the breakout board. That's a BIOS issue of some kind. Panasonic BIOS's are "challenging"

5. CWB32

Reputations:
    yep ... and as i recall , mine was originally an XP machine that had been upgraded to vistaless , that someone tried to load W7 onto .
    sooo ... the first thing needed was a bios flash .
    but i am pretty certain that i left it as a vistaless machine .
    (maybe that is the answer ... load vistaless ?)
    and evidently , it is a MK1 ... or did the bios flash "convert" it to a MK2 ?
    and ... the machine wound up being fully loaded , with all working correctly (see my signature) .

there are a couple of other threads about that '30 and what it took to get it working .

6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    The OP's machine is , was and will always be a mk2. BIOS flash will not change that.
    His machine is a CF30G...The G is significant as that is originally a NO wifi unit. that usually means a custom BIOS.

Model Number: CF-30GTJZZAM
    MSRP: $4,399
    Description: No Wireless, WinXP (Vista COA), Intel Core 2 Duo L7500 1.60GHz, No WLAN, 13.3" XGA Touch, 250GB, 1GB, TPM1.2, No Optical, No Bluetooth

The flash I was thinking of ONLY unlocks the WWAN and changes nothing else. That may be for different models and not the CF30. I never did much with WWAN and I have not owned a CF30 in probably 2 years. (CRS)
    I did find spgobi2, but it works on a CF31 not a CF30.

At this point mucking around with the mk2 for any longer is a bit of a waste of time in my opinion.
    OP has a mk3 motherboard that works with the usb board. Moving to a mk3 via that mb or a complete unit is a better choice. CF30's are not that expensive anymore and a mk3 is a much better machine.

7. Knightofoldcode

Reputations:
    There's no point. The breakout board works on the mk3 MB.

You and me both, lol.

That's exactly my sentiments.

Again, thank you everyone!
    Knight.

Shawn likes this.
  8. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Did somebody say they needed a MK3? I may have posted in the wrong place before. :oops:

PM if I sent to the right place this time.

"Normal" wireless down, tethered for 4G.

Thanks

Jeff ...not a salesman...:cool:

9. Knightofoldcode

Reputations:
    PM Sent.

Knight.

10. CWB32

Reputations:
    yep ...
    break out the screwdrivers , a bottle of aspirin and a pot of coffee .

it would be interesting to see exactly what-all was/is involved in making a "G" model non-wwan .
    i can say that the stock wwan card in conjunction with the stock antenna works rather well ...
    when i made the train/rail trip from northern minnesnowta to northwest montana during the christmas season i had no real problems with a connection along the way (and there is a lot of *nowhere* in between) .
    my fellow travelers , with their cutesy cell/smartphones and little black boxes for *tethering* suffered through plenty of grief .
    finding a competent cell-service tech might be another story for some folks ... it took perseverance and *finally* getting someone that really knew what they were doing to get my machine connected to their system (verizon) .
    /i believe the saga is referenced in a thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.