CF-W8 Repair

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rylarson, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rylarson

rylarson Newbie

Reputations:
    So my friend bought a CF-W8 about a year ago and she stepped on the screen. I have repaired a few laptops (mostly Dell Latitudes) and a couple HP's.

However, they always had detailed service manuals, and these toughbook manuals are hard to come by. I have searched high and low on google and on this site and the closest manual i found was a CF-W5.

However, the CF-W5 has the normal keyboard "hooks" and this CF-W8 does not have those, it has the spill proof keyboard and Its not obvious how it comes off. I have taken every screw out of this thing that I can find and I cant get the palmrest/top cover to separate from the bottom. It feels like its still screwed down under the keyboard.

Does anybody have a repair manual for this, or maybe just knows how to get the keyboard off?

Many thanks in advance.

2. szcyxzh

szcyxzh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    call heartland for service.

3. BigAl

BigAl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would also recommend contacting heartland.

If they can't help I will add that I have a CF-Y7 which also has a spill proof keyboard. I don't know if it's the same design as your W8 but I'll do a quick summary of how I removed my keyboard.

I removed the harddrive and 7 screws from the underside of the laptop below the keyboard. This was followed by the two plastic covers from either side of the keyboard (carefully get underneath the lower side of this cover and rotate up).

Then there are two strips of double-sided tape holding the keyboard down... I had to use a flat putty knife to gently pry the keyboard up and release the keyboard from this tape. On the Y7 this tape was only on the right side of the keyboard.

Once this was done it was just a matter of pulling up the black plastic film that covered the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard.

4. rylarson

rylarson Newbie

Reputations:
    I was able to find an exploded view of all of the parts. I had to pay 9.00 for the service manual but it doesn't have detailed instructions, just exploded views and parts lists. If I can post it somewhere to contribute to the cause I would be glad to.

When you say two plastic covers on either side, are to referring to on the bottom of the computer? Or on the keyboard itself?

Thanks again.

5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    That's about all you get with a panasonic service manual. A break down of the parts and the part numbers

6. rylarson

rylarson Newbie

Reputations:
    When you say 2 plastic covers on either side, are you talking about under the battery (on the underside) or the little plastic bumpers on either side of the keyboard?

7. BigAl

BigAl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Plastic bumpers on either side of the keyboard. Carefully pry up/out from the underside of those covers... I start at a port... i.e. the usb port to get underneath the cover. Then slide down to release all the clips, then rotate the cover up and off.

As for the manuals... I found a CF-Y5 manual that has helped me out on my Y7. It has all kinds of exploded views but the language is... poor. It's like someone took a japanese document and ran it thru one of those auto-translators (google translate, babelfishe, etc.).

8. interestingfellow

interestingfellow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a 29, (which is totally different, I get it), but the double stick tape was the klincher for me.I was so terrified of having to forcefully but carefully pry the KB off the case. I have only seen that double tape used on the KB in Panny's.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

You may want to contact Rob or Modly about uploading that user manual, if you like. they both have servers for such items.

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I just looked and that's about the only service manual we don't have...sorry

10. szcyxzh

szcyxzh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    do you have the service Manuel for cf-c1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.