CF-VKBL02 + 03 backlit keyboards that fit into CF 29 - looks good on paper

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Shawn, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    @ Top Cop
    You probably don't need to worry about the function (proprietary) cable as it only carries the signal for the hot keys on the bottom of the display to the keyboard. If you can live without those hot keys you don't need the function cable. The touch screen signals are carried on the serial cable.
    CAP

2. TBtech29

TBtech29 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The cable number for the FN Keys are DFJS606WA

3. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Great to know; Thanks! :)

Now all we need to know is if the "commercial" PS/2 cable splitters will function in place of the Panasonic one. :confused:

4. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Or you can just use the ubiquitous PS2 to USB adapter that Alex posted. I've got a few that have come with various input devices over the years. My CF-30 has no PS2 port, I haven't looked at a CF-29 lately.
    CAP

5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks Alex, I will order one of these today http://go.notebookreview.com/?id=525X832&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2FMALE-MALE-5FT-PS-2-KEYBOARD-MOUSE-EXTENSION-CABLE-39-%2F230458289020&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.notebookreview.com%2Fpanasonic%2F521479-cf-vkbl02-03-backlit-keyboards-fit-into-cf-29-looks-good-paper-8.html

6. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    got the VKBL03's and VKBL02's from buybdl guy, he substituted the two of the 03's for 02's and threw in some cables and reduced the price. ok by me, but the 02's were not what the pictures showed and were standard chicklet KB's. no matter at least got 2 03's and hopefully they will work for a swap on cf-29's. will take the 02's apart to see if they've been gutted and let you know.......Driller

7. metallitera

metallitera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh so he had them in stock for you but not me huh.LoL

8. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yeah, the deal was done on 9/30/10, emailed me week later said he could send 2, send 2 substitute 2 with cables and reduce price, or write off whole order and refund my payment. I figured if I could get at least 2 out of the deal I'd still come out ahead. swapped one of the 03's last nite and it works like it should. the 02's were just standard chicklet KB's but haven't opened them up yet to see what's inside. got a little extra, a nite light over the KB was leds. the 02's were supposed to be rubber KB's backlit, and the picture he showed me looked like they were back lit, delivery just plain KB's though..............Driller

9. ffergie

ffergie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks all for the info shared in this thread. Just got my FleaBay CF-VKBL03 and within minutes had my backlit chicklet keyboard up and running. All this for $30. I am pleased :)

Thanks again

10. Orion90

Orion90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    More testing to report:

The Good: The PS2 to USB adapter that tomcat mentioned worked with my CF-VKBL03 backlight, mouse, and keyboard all functional. It is plug and play and I have tried it on Mark 1,4,5 CF 29 all running xp pro. It also worked on my gateway which I am typing on now and a dell poweredge server. It loads about 4 human interface drivers a driver for a HID compliant keyboard and a driver for a HID compliant mouse for a total of 6 drivers. Luckily this was plug and play and did all the work for me.:)

The Bad: Tried this witha CF-VKBL01 all the above machines. No Noda fail. Keep getting unkown device. Any Idea's?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.