CF U1-DSLR camera control project.

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Shawn, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    this
    20180915_204527resize.jpg

SHEEPMAN! likes this.
  2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    And this.

Based on Ubuntu 13.04. That was a can of worms.

I did the set-up via an installed version of Pear OS on a CF-52. All the synaptic work, adding xinput and xinput calibrator. Set bios to Touch. <<<<<<<<<<<<<(note: xinput and xinput calibrate showed up in the package manager after we installed the old versions from the repositories.)

Used "REMASTER" to create an .iso. of my tweaked unit. Copied the .iso to a CF-53 running antiX Linux.

After several failures I went back to the terminal.

Code:
    sudo cp -i custom.iso /dev/sdb
    Read this as: supervisor copies with interaction the iso file to the USB stick. No Unetbootin, no rufus, no nothing.

The touch is micro-spot ON after calibration....including the upper toolbar area that was not reachable with other flavors of Linux. Don't know why, it just worked.

IMGA0436.jpg

Shawn likes this.
  3. Shawn

Reputations:
    You have been hanging around Linux forums too much my friend.
    We need more information.
    I found Remaster and figured out to run it in terminal.
    Then the help file popped up with correct syntax to get custom.iso creation started.
    Now for the lack of details part.
    --------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------
    This is creating a Live usb, correct?
    What were the failures? Copying the iso to usb? Installing the iso to a new machine? getting the live usb to run?
    Is this run on the source machine that created the iso?
    Does this get the iso from the Pear source to the usb stick? If so, why won't a filemanager copy to usb work?
    Is this run on the target machine to install custom.iso?
    Are you creating a dual boot with AntiX and Pear?

4. Shawn

Reputations:
    I swapped the Intel 5100 card for the Intel 6300. I was going to use a 7260, but Pear OS doesn't have drivers for the 7260 card.
    At first I did not ground the 3rd antenna to the metal housing. Once I grounded it, wifi performance improved greatly.
    I had to do the pin 20 mod for any new card to be enabled.

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    The failure was me having too much info. I expected the drive (sdb1) to not work due to missing stuff as has been the case before. I tried Unetbootin, USB creator (MX) and others. Finally I fell back to an old post from somewhere that used cp.

I put a drive in sdb1 (usb) ...it had a OS on it but the sudo cp did what it is supposed to do. It copied a byte by byte copy of the iso file over the existing system file thus doing away with formatting etc.

This is run on any Linux machine that has the custom iso in the PWD. (present working directory) of the terminal.

Code:
    $ls
    like dir in DOS.

1. Do remaster.
    2. Copy .iso to a larger machine running linux... on the Desktop is good.
    3. Open terminal.
    4. cd Desktop
    5. ls
    6. If you can see custom.iso then run the command on a freshly inserted USB stick.
    Code:
    NOTE: USB device may be on SDC or something. It depends on whether you have other sticks plugged in.

OR, handle it (writing the stick) like you would any other .iso file.

There is no reason Rufus wouldn't work; it just needs the iso file available. I didn't choose to use a Windows machine.

IF YOU GET A MESSAGE LIKE "ARE YOU REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO COPY OVER SDA" SIT ON YOUR HANDS AND EVALUATE." Sda is your hard drive. :)

sdb IS NOT A TYPO. THIS WILL FAIL IF YOU USE sdb1. By using sdb the entire stick will be overwritten. Using sdb1 leaves the first bit of the stick alone....therein lie dragons...like partitions, boot records and such. IF you are using a used stick.

No I didn't dual boot. ANNNND I set the OS up with all updates and upgrades, xinput, xinput calibrator and the tweaks we decided on PM. All that, on the sacrificial lamb (CF-52 GUNBR2M) touchscreen of course. Then ran the stick in the U1.
    Actually I copied the .iso to a MX-17 CF-53 and did the terminal commands to copy (cp) from there but that's beside the point.

u1explosion.jpg

6. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    CF-31 GPS works in a CF-U1 MK2 bios and all. Stuck it in the empty hdd bay. Literally stuck with double sided tape. Hdd cable is taped off.

Ran MX-16 Linux/.wine/Winfast Navigator. For testing purposes only. :)

The mobo connector is under the USB. Blue side of the fpc goes towards the motherboard.

Waiting for parts for my SSD mod.

Shawn likes this.
  7. Shawn

Reputations:
    So how do you DELETE the custom.iso from the original unit? Mine won't let me delete it from the GUI.
    Related squirrel. Isn't there an app that adds a line in the GUI menu to "open terminal window in this folder"

8. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Code:
    sudo nautilus
    # then trash it. You will have root access until you close the file manager.

I prefer thunar file manager as you can get root access while the file manager is open.....except HERE. :( That was the trade-off for the top bar being the same on all applications I'm guessing.....IOW it looks different than I'm used to.

I installed it (thunar) and the 17 other packages.

9. Shawn

Reputations:
    The dual pass thru on a U1 is the same as on a G1.

10. Shawn

Reputations:
    CF U1?XXXXXX
    ?=
    A,C,E,F = Mk1
    G,H,J,K,M= Mk2
    N=Mk2.5
    R,T,Q=Mk2.6